Reload this Page >

Best site for cheap airfare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Greg

Does anyone out there have a favorite web site for locating cheap flights? I will be heading to Spain the beginning of October and would like to try to get a head start. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance, <BR>Greg

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:01 AM
buddy

I have lots of alternatives! Check these out: <BR> <BR>1)Smarterliving.com gives special from major carriers each week new fares come out on Wdnesdays <BR>2)lowestfare.com <BR>3)rockbottomfares.com (haven't used them to buy but look good) <BR>4)qixo.com great new sight that consolidates many internet sellars loveit! they don't hav all the foreign airports listed yet though yours may be <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Carey

In addition to the above <BR> <BR>I use: <BR> <BR>www.bestfares.com <BR>www.tiss.com (I have used them for my last trip, great prices, bought about 7 tickets) <BR> <BR>www.thedailyauction.com (this is a site that you bid on Lufthansa tickets, you must be flexible on dates and times, but the airfares are "rock bottom") <BR> <BR>Hope this helps! I basically just look everyday for tickets until I find one that is within my budget. Set your budget, and work from there. You may pass up a low fare, waiting for that cheaper than dirt airfare. <BR> <BR>Carey

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Mariarosa

Carey - Can you tell me more about tiss.com? Is the price when you go through booking the price that they charge to your credit card? have you had any problems with the airlines when you have booked with them? Thanks for the information!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Diane

I've been using www.biztravel.com for several months for both business and personal travel and it is terrific. If a lower price is available after you've booked, they'll contact you to see if you want to take it. But traveling between the States and Europe it is harder to get low fares too far in advance of your trip. You can expect there will be low fares in October, but they may not be available yet. Do a search on the web and pick up "SideStep" It searches many available ticket-sellers and shows you comparison prices, then links you to the one you chose through the airline's website. Usually you can pick up bonus miles for booking.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 10:31 AM
John

Mariosa, I'm not Carey but I've had no complaints with TISS - it's basically a consolidation service with participating agents in several countries. I think all are IATA members, and the prices quoted have been honored.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:11 AM
flyer

If you have coupons for $$ off flights (such as you get when you give up your seat), can they be used towards flights on these sites?

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Greg

Thanks for the heads-up on SideStep. I downloaded it and it does cut down on checking some of the major airlines. Thanks!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:16 PM
JP

TISS can come up with some amazing fares, especially if there is something unusual about them (one-way or originating in another country). <BR> <BR>The trouble is that they aren't as smooth as you might like about ticketing and billing. You can't assemble a complicated itinerary and then ticket it and be billed all at once; each part is ticketed and billed by the office that handles the flight in question. They may charge a surcharge for using a credit card (all 3 of the offices that I have bought tickets from have: U.S., Germany, Singapore). If you choose to pay via credit card, the foreign offices may require that you fax them a copy of your passport and credit card along with a statement authorizing the charge. There will also probably be a charge for delivering the ticket. The worst thing about all of this is that the extra charges don't show up until you're well along in the reservation process; you usually are informed of them via the reservation confirmation process. <BR> <BR>However, the amount of money that I can save by using TISS usually makes me decide to live with the inconvenience of the process.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Monica

Lowestfare.com <BR>Priceline.com <BR>Travel Select (home page) <BR> <BR>I've compared lowestfare.com with consolodators in the area, and the prices are the same. CHEAP!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:35 PM
sandy

I know people will disagree, but I've never found any fares lower than on travelocity.com for US and international. If your dates are somewhat flexible you can find some really good deals. After I booked tickets to Costa Rica (not Europe-I know)I heard about rockbottom.com and a few others that were mentioned, but the Travelocity was still the lowest (and on American Airlines).

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:49 PM
DavidK

Check out www.123-discount-travel.com for links to lots of good websites for airfare.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Ann

I just have to say thanks to everyone for all the great info! Coincidentally, my husband and I are heading to Spain in mid-October and I was logging on prepared to post an identical question about cheap airfare sites. We are planning to fly from Detroit into Madrid. So far, I have checked travelscape.com and nwa.com (since Detroit is a hub for Northwest and we could sure use those miles!) and the cheapest fares are approximately $1000 rt. Can anyone give me an idea of what a good fare should be? We have never traveled to Europe before so I don't have any idea if that is a reasonable fare or not.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 02:00 PM
sam

That's probably the typical fare you'd see right now, booking this far in advance. But generally that seems quite high. I suggest wating some to book; you'll likely see prices drop if you wait a couple months or more. Ann

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 02:02 PM
beth

Octobrer is considered off season and iwould guess you could easily get a fare under $500 from a major gateway such as Chicago or New York (probably closer to the $350 range) I'm not sure but it may be cheaper for you to book your flight to Madrid from somewhere close such as Chicago you can easily get a fare from Detroit to Chicago for around $70 and just book this separately. the trick is you are not going to get these losw fared now. Most consolidators and wholesalers sell "last minute" airfares that haven't previously sold, that is why they are rock bottom prices. The trade off is that if you wait you may not be able to get exact dates you plan you have to be flexible on the day of the week time of day and even the week of the month that you will travel. I doubt you will get any good fares before 4 months prior to travel, but good luck and hope this helps!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Ann

Thanks, Sam and Beth, for the quick replies! I appreciate the info and will wait at least a few months before I book something, especially if October is off-peak. Unfortunately we are not flexible as to when we can go because my in-laws have their timeshare already booked for specific dates, but hopefully we'll come up with a decent fare anyway.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Kevin Mathews

Greg, <BR> <BR>I find that the best fares are the ones from the airlines themselves. These are usually much cheaper than anything you will find on travelocity, etc. For instance, IcelandAir has a special that is $380 round trip for 2 people to several European cities. With taxes it comes to about $270/pp RT. That's a pretty amazing deal. I don't think Madrid is a city on the list, though (Paris is as close as it gets). <BR> <BR>However, this is an example of the types of deals you can get through the airlines. Last year Sabena offered RT airfare for two and 3 nights hotel accomidations in Brussels for $700 total. <BR> <BR>I'd keep my eye open for travel bargins on a carrier flying to Spain. I use AOL's travel bargin section to find most of these deals. <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Kevin

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Donella

Hi Ann! we will be going to Spain in May and I belive that and Sept & Oct. are considered by Fodors and Frommers to be the best time as the heavy tourist season of June, July and August are too hot and packed with tourists. Right now my Yahoo sight is showing $438. from Chicago to Madrid for travel up to April so I will wait another month and they will probably include May. You definatly need to wait until July or even August to get a better fare. We will be touring the golfo de Almeria and Costa del sol area. I've read to be careful of pickpckets and muggers. Should I be worrying?

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Greg

Ann, I also have run into the $1000 fares from Indianapolis to Madrid (we Midwesterners just want to get out of the cold and snow!). However, using some of the tips people have given us here, I was able to gradually get it down to around $500/pp. Unfortunately, it is for travel within the next few months. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed, but I have a good feeling. You might keep an eye on British Airways site - they have some very good prices on flights right now. I've heard good things about BA - are they a good airline (query to all). <BR> <BR>Greg

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Diane

To answer the question about using coupon for $$ off -- we've used them through biztravel.com Any unusual questions you call them with, they are great about finding you an answer quickly. I had an email from bestfares.com about some low fares to Europe from selected US cities (interestingly, not NY, Philly or DC, but Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta) this morning -- for travel to be completed by May 31. That's the first special deal for May I've seen yet so more will be sure to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -