Best Route Paris,Normandy,MSM,CDG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Paris to our time share in Cormeilles for 1 week & would appreciate all suggestions on best itinery to include Giverney,Rouen,Honfleur,CAEN & Normandy beaches,Bayeux,& MSM before returning to CDG. We would like to spend 1 night at a hotel during this week but 6 nights we must sleep in Cormeilles. We would like to hit MSM late afternoon & take all advice to view at night. Help me plan this week that must have us stay in Cormeilles 6 nights.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:29 AM
rex

topping...
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Cormeilles looks like a wonderful location from which to visit the sites you listed. I'm jealous.

Have you tried plugging your destinations into www.mappy.com? For Cormeilles, be sure to enter the zip code 27260. You can include several stops ("vias&quot between Paris and Cormeilles, such as Giverny, Rouen, and Honfleur.

I recommend that the trip between Rouen and Honfleur include the Route of the Abbeys, including Jumieges.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I would consult the Michelin Green Guide for Normandy. It has many suggestions for scenic routes. It is where we found our route from CDG to Normandy. We drove to Vernon and then up the north side of the Seine. We stayed in Rouen and from there headed toward Honfleur, taking the Abbaye Road to visit a string of medieval abbeys. Very interesting.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for Mappy. I had nver used it & it is amazing. Have you found it very dependable? Also our timeshre is in connelles. it should be amazing, we're going to stay overnight in Bayeux, hit MSM in the late afternoon ,evening as suggested by many & head back to Bayeux to sleep. How much will we be missing if we do not return to MSM the next AM but work our way back to the beaches & Connelles?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I use Mappy for a general idea and for help in estimating travel times but then use real paper maps for road travel. I also use www.viamichelin.com, but I like Mappy for ideas on pedestrian routes in towns (there's an option for that). Note also, in the "Vias" section, that you can plug in a number of locales and selct the "optimized order" button and mappy will tell you in which order to travel to them.

Have a fabulous time. Normandy is so lovely and the beaches such a moving experience. One regret I have is that we did not plan better, so we'd be at the American cemetery at Sunset, when they play taps. We visited the cemetery, of course, but not at Sunset.

I liked the cathedral at Bayeaux a lot too.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Rouen could be a good mid-way place to stay.

You could drive from Paris via Giverney.

Last July when en route from Paris to Bayeux we had a spare night.

Actually we had booked a place on the east of Paris because we had considered Disneyland for a day.... However, we decided en route that we didn't want to see Mickey et al, so we turned round and headed back west towards Normandy, and ended up in Rouen around 7pm.

It was a great place to spend some time. We found a hotel in the centre (Hotel du Vieux Marche) that had 2 twin rooms, and a nice 3*. No a/c but we didn't need it, and 105 euros per room.

Rouen was delightful. We wandered around, ate at la Teverne du Vieux Marche in the Place. Had an excellent meal for 12 euros a head, the best value meal we had that trip. We had ices near the Cathedral - the camembert ice cream was interesting!

At 11pm there was a son et lumiere at the cathedral, inspired by Monet's paintings of the Cathedral, which was worth seeing. Next morning we visited the interior of the cathedral, did some shopping and regretfully left for Caen and Bayeux. I do not regret the extra 200 euros that night in Rouen cost me, because it was such a lovely place.

Have a great trip.