Best route from Waterford to Cavan

Apr 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Best route from Waterford to Cavan

Driving from Waterford to Cavan spending one night at Cabra Castle end of June.
Should we go via Gorey,Arklow,Wicklow and Drogheda or Cahir, Cashel etc. Going by route planner there is very little difference time wise but I'd like the most picturesque route. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:47 AM

Haven't had a chance to see Wicklow yet (have plans for a day tour this trip)but I would like to say that Cashel was beautiful and where I want to live should I ever convince DH to move from the USA.
Cahir was pretty cool as it is set up as a more interactive castle with a short tour and then you can climb up, on, into just about everything.
Just down the lane from Cahir castle is the Swiss Cottage which you can drive to and a short walk throught the woods to see or walk from the castle along a stream. It was enchanting and very picturesque.
We enjoyed this very much!

Dawn
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM

No help on your driving route, but you're going to love Cabra Castle if you haven't been already. I attended a wedding there a couple of years ago and it is a beautiful venue.
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I would not recommend travelling from Cashel to Kingscourt if you do not know the terrain.

Have you considered going through Kilkenny and then via Dublin? It's the fastest route, and you do the picturesque bit by stopping in Kilkenny. Take the N3 out of Dublin. If you have time in hand you can divert to Trim and see Trim Castle.
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone for your responses. I think we will stick with the Cahir,Cashel route. Cashel sounds too good to miss. Glad to hear Cabra Castle is recommended. It's my daughters birthday and we wanted somewhere nice to celebrate on our way to Belfast for my mums 80th Birthday Party on 30th June.Also we will be in Galway 23rd& 24th June so I have taken heed of the warning about water contamination. Thanks.