Best route from Verona to Menaggio?

Jul 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Best route from Verona to Menaggio?

Driving from Verona, and spending 2 nights in the Lake Como area. Need to find the best town suited for wheelchair access. We were going to stay in Bellagio but from what I read, there are lots of stairs there. It sound rather inaccessible. It seems that Menaggio is the most level and has a nice big promenade by the lake with lots of cafes, shops, etc.

Driving from Verona, would it be better to take the A4 through Milan or drive up north and around the lake (A4, SS36)? Would rather have a scenic drive that takes a bit longer than sit in traffic going through Milan. Thoughts?
Jul 14th, 2014, 08:14 AM

What time of year? Assuming summer or early autumn and that you have no time constraints...

After Brescia, turn north to drive along the western shore of Lake Iseo. At Edolo, turn west. At Colico on Lake Como, you have the choice of turning right and driving around the north end of the lake and then south to Menaggio -or- turning left and driving to Varenna to catch the car ferry to Menaggio. The last car ferry through the summer departs Varenna at 7:40p.
Jul 14th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Menaggio is the largest, area-wise, of the three main mid-lake towns. It does, in fact, have a rather long "promenade" area at the edge of the lake; lots of roses and other flowers in bloom depending on time of year.

I would not agree that there are all that many shops and restaurants the length of that promenade, however. Those things are more or less concentrated in a smaller area which is sort of like a town square with a several restaurants, a gelato stand, and a few stores.

Things may have changed in the several years since we stayed in Menaggio.

Re Bellagio, yes there are stairs but the area immediately adjacent to the lake where there are some restaurants, stores, and hotels is fairly flat.
Jul 14th, 2014, 09:47 AM

We spent 3 nights in Bellagio in May. Dukey1 is accurate in the description of the lakeside promenade in Bellagio. It is flat and runs the length of the town, with several hotels and a few restaurants right on the lake front that should be wheelchair accessible. You could even go all the way down to the beautiful Villa Melzi gardens which we enjoyed immensely. There are lots of trails that wind up and down the hills in the gardens, however, and I'm not sure how accessible those would be by wheel chair. Visiting the shops in Bellagio and restaurants other than those on the waterfront would involve going up and down lots of steps. But you could enjoy quite a bit of the town, and I hope you will visit there even if you stay in Menaggio. We only made a quick stop there to get groceries for our apartment and didn't explore the town but from the water it was not pretty like Bellagaio or Varenna, which is very hilly and difficult to navigate even on foot. I will be posting a trip report and photos soon and have lots of photos of Bellagio and the other mid-lake towns that might help you in your planning. I hope you will consider using the mid-lake ferry to visit Bellagio, Tremezzo, Cadenabbia, and Lenno as it is pleasant to just go along the promenades in each town and look up at the houses, restaurants, etc perched on the hillsides. Or just ride the ferry around the lake for the beautiful views of the shoe and the mountains, which were snow-capped in May.
Jul 14th, 2014, 12:27 PM

A4 to Milan, A9 to Como, and then drive the lakeside SS 340. IMHO it is long enough and I would not make detours. Cutting a corner and driving on ordinary roads from Bergamo to Como probably takes the same or more time than driving on motorways through Milan.

There is maybe an even quicker option, that is going all the way to Lugano and then drive the short Lugano-Menaggio stretch. But if you do not have the Swiss highway sticker, that is issued for one year even if you drive just half an hour on Swiss motorways, this is going to cost a lot just for a short stretch.