best roads in Ireland?

Jul 30th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

best roads in Ireland?

Does anyone know which are the "better" roads in Ireland? I've heard it can take a while to get somewhere because the roads are small and windy.

Is there a list of the "better" roads esp from Galway to Dublin or Galway to Wexford?

Thanks in advance!
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Edmundus

The best roads are those from Dublin. There are motorways part of the way to Northern Ireland,Cork,Galway,Limerick,Killarney,Wexford,Kil kenny,Waterford,Sligo,
Donegal. See www.viamicherlin.com for details. If possible try to get out of Dublin by 7am or arrive there after 8pm when traffic is much lighter.

Jul 30th, 2006, 06:26 AM

paddysmom,

M roads are motorways so fast (apart from the congestion mentioned by Edmundus).

N roads are national routes. I believe N1 - 50 are the more important/better routes. Higher numbers tend to be not so good.

R roads are regional routes. They can vary enormously from straight and fast to windy and slow. They are not always poorer than N roads.

Speed limits are fixed by the type of road, so the limit on a poor N road is higher than a really good R road.

Confused? So was I.

Edmundus' link fails. Try:

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/pla...jsp?database=I
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Dublin - Galway fastest is the N6 for sure. Takes us a little under 4 hours, barring traffic or stops.

Galway - Wexford would be tougher. Almost a shame to recommend a "fast" way, if there were one, for all the great things you're passing to keep speed. But if scenery and such are not the goal, I would think a route on mostly N roads would be fastest by going Galway - Ennis - Limerick - Tipperary/Clonmel/Carrick - Waterford - Wexford.

Either that or backtracking to Athlone on the N6 before starting south east, but that would be mostly on secondary N roads. I haven't gone through that route myself.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:15 AM

Cliftton has it. Galway to Wexford would be a full day I would think. You'll have to go through lots of small towns and bigger ones could be a pretty big hassle.

Bill
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:56 AM

Galway to Wexford isn't a full day trip (unless you wanted to stop off on the way). It's about 3 and a half hours - 4 hours on a bad day. You take the N18 from Galway to Limerick and then the N24 to Waterford and on to Wexford from there. Shouldn't be too bad.
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:09 AM

Well, even some locals tell me Galway to Dublin is 3-4 hours and Wexford is even a greater distance. In addition you would be driving near Cashel and through Cahir so you would certainly want to stop. I stand by a full day.

Bill
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:35 AM

Yes, Dublin to Galway is about 3 hours (I am a local!), but you go nowhere near Dublin to go from Galway to Wexford.

Of course if you want to take a few hours and stop in Cashel and Cahir it could take a full day, but if you don't want to stop it will take 4 hours or less.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:20 AM
Edmundus

The Michelin driving site is at www.viamichelin.com. Sorry about that