Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Return Departure City: Paris, Zurich, or Geneva?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to research our plane tickets from San Francisco to London, returning on an open jaw to SF. The last part of our trip we will be in Besancon, in southeastern France. Does anyone have any info on which city would be best to fly out of? I think Besancon is about equidistance from both Zurich and Geneva, a little farther to Paris. Specific airline is open, except not BA because of the strictness of their carry-on weight restriction. (We will have significant camera gear with us.)<BR><BR>Thanks, all!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM

All things being equal, and I do not profess to be an expert here. If I was asking this question, I would not be surprised to have someone say to me that Zurich would be the best connection home. You may say one connection from flyng from GEN, not sure, but if the question is to connect in Zurich ( ZRH) vs. Paris(CDG)..this is not a multiple choice question in my view.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I think you will find that there are no non stop flights from Switzerland to San Francisco. If you want a non stop flight, you will need to leave from CDG.<BR>*Delta, Air France, and United*<BR><BR>If you don't mind the connection, either Geneva or Z&uuml;rich would be my choice because I dislike CDG. The flight does, however, take longer because of the connect time. <BR><BR>You can reach all of airports directly by train. Which station will you be leaving from? Besan&ccedil;on-Mouill&egrave;re or Besan&ccedil;on-Viotte?<BR><BR>All of the connections that I know anything about will involve a change of trains. Some of them involve 3 changes.<BR><BR>Never having done it, I am not sure which combination would be the best.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:00 PM

why not try one of those discount euro airlines many fly in and out of southern france too england.. for instance british midland flyies out of Nice too hethrow.. and you may save some money too.. <BR><BR>if not Zurich is a fairly big hub..
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Won't it help to use the 'multi-city' feature on www.orbitz.com, and try once with Zurich, once with Geneva - compare the results...?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. We don't mind having to change planes once, but changing trains would be a lot more hassle since we'll have all our stuff with us. (It's not a travel light sort of trip for several reasons beyond our control.)<BR><BR>Bob Brown, have no idea which station in Besancon (darn, wish I could get that cedilla more easily). We'll be at the Kursaal convention hall, staying at the Hotel de Paris nearby, so I guess whichever is closest. What website lists the trains from Besancon so I can take a look? Thanks!<BR><BR>Orgy7, we're wary of inter-Europe airlines even though cheap because of carry-on weight limits. Also, I think it will be just as easy to get to Zurich as to Nice -- Besancon is not that far south.<BR><BR>Just once I wish I could book a simple round trip -- seems like my travel is always more complicated!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I am pretty sure either Delta or American flies non-stop from Denver-Zurich and JFK-Zurich. Don't forget the Basel airport.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM

Marylin, <BR><BR>your best bet is probably to fly from Basel/Mulhouse to a large hub (Lufthansa to Frankfurt, KLM to Amsterdam).<BR><BR>If you're renting a car in France, you can return it without a crossborder fee, as the airport is in France (it has both French and Swiss sectors).<BR><BR>Mulhouse is about a 90 min. train ride from Besancon (direct) and a bus to the airport leaves from the train station (takes 30 minutes). Bus service isn't all too frequent - here are schedules (you need to scroll down a bit to get to Mulhouse service):<BR>http://www.euroairport.com/FR/voyageurs.php?PAGEID=4&amp;PAGEDYNID=2<BR><BR>Othe rwise, you can take the train to Basel (1 change in Mulhouse or Belfort). There's frequent bus service from Basel train station to the airport.<BR><BR>Train schedules at:<BR>http://www.rail.ch/pv/index_e.htm<BR><BR>Another option would be to take the train to Paris Gare de Lyon (2 hours 40 min) and from there the Air France bus to CDG (about an hour). From CDG, you can fly Air France or UA nonstop to SF.<BR><BR>Zurich or Geneva are less convenient IMO.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre