Best place to pick up car in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will shortly be going on our first trip to France! We are flying into CDG and spending about 4 days in Paris. We then plan to hire a car and drive to Epernay in Champagne. However, we have never driven anywhere in Europe before and are a little anxious about "finding our feet". Does anyone have any recommendations about the best place in Paris to pick up a rental car to drive to Epernay, or would it be easiest to simply go back to CDG and pick up a car and go from there???
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Hi Aussiegirl,
Your concerns are well founded.
I have been driving in France for a number of years and I always try to steer clear of Paris center as much as possible. Being from the UK we drive on the other side.
I guess from your name that you are coming from Australia ? As you also drive on the correct side of the road, picking up a strange car with controls on the opposite side whilst trying to negotiate driving on the other side and also negotiating the Chaos that is Paris I would suggest that it is madness to even attempt it especially as its the first time you will have done it.
I think collection at CDG would certainly be the better option from the two.
Sorry I can't suggest anywhere else, but agree that you are wise to ask the question.
Good luck

Muck
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:01 AM

Get a rental on the edge of Paris. Most companies will have an office near the Peripherique so getting out of the city would not be as difficult. If you do decide to go to the airport to rent I would suggest Orly--it is closer. There is an Air France bus to Orly from Invalides which would save a bit of money.
Driving in France is not difficult. Be sure to get the Michelin map of the region you are driving in. Also be aware that on the road directions are given to the next town en route to your destination--not as much by route numbers.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Only because yesterday we had a little discussion here about picking up a car at Gare de Lyon, I'm thinking that would work well for you. It's within Paris, easy to get to, and it is an easy drive out to the east where you're going, without having to pick your way through any narrow or minor city streets.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Patrick, I am with you. Besides remember that cars picked up at airports are always more expensive because of airport tax.
Orly is a good place to pick up the car and drive versus Champagne.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Why not take the train to Epernay and rent the car there. Would probably be a lot less stressful.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:48 AM
jay

We have picked up cars several times in Paris always at the Montpanarsse (sp?) train station. We usually get them on the evening or late afternoon before find a spot near our hotel and leave early the next morning before traffic gets too bad. The driving is no big deal but if you leave the city you won't have any problem. We bought a Michelin map book for all of Europe and have used it the last 4 trips. I would also plan on leaving the car off at the airport instead of going back into thew city.