Best place to buy Euros NOW.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestions? I'd prefer to have currency shipped to my home.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I bought some yesterday at the American Express Office in the mall. You can also get them at the Autoclub. I have no idea what the rate is I really did not care. We are leaving Thursday abd I wanted a few hundred for walking around money. I think you can order from your band and they might ship to you.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Not necessarily a cheap way to to do it, but:

http://www.oanda.com/products/fxdelivery/

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Unless you are arriving in Europe by skydiving out of a plane or wading ashore from a fishing boat, it's much, much cheaper to get your currency from an ATM at the European airport. Or if the ATM is broken (which I've never encountered in Europe) you could visit the airport's currency exchange booth. Either way, the rate is far better even with the ATM fee or commissions factored in.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM

skydiving or wading ashore...could save a little on airfare :-? I agree with the other posters that the ATM is easy in Europe (used it in Paris 04 with no problems)I am however, of the school of thought that I do like to have a small bit of local currency for incidentals (airport/hotel transportation, etc.) while I get my bearings. That being said Bank of America has foreign currency, and you can either pick it up at the branch of your choice, or they will ship it to you. not as good a rate as the ATM's,
but if you just get a small amount of "pocket money" the difference wouldn't be significant enough to change your life.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Underhill,

Where are you? Most downtown DC banks have them on hand - no fee and excellent rate if you are an account holder.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm near Sacramento, CA.

I checked the Cirrus site, which shows that there are no ATMs at the Vienna airport (can that be true???), and from there I'll be getting right on a bus to our river-cruise ship--no chance to stop anywhere else.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Try a websearch for these three I've used before:

Bank Of America foreign currency by mail

Wells Fargo Bank foreign currency by mail

Travelex foreign currency online
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:14 PM

bankofamerica.com
halfway down the page you will see specialized banking services, and the foreign currency link. you do not have to be a BoA customer, and you can even put it on your credit card, which hopefully you have the kind that gives you miles!!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:37 AM
ira

Hi underhill,

Frommers also says that there are no ATMs at the Vienna airport, only an exchange bureau.

American Express will sell you euros for $1.24 (current bank rate is $1.17) plus $5 for S&H.

You could also buy euro at the departure airport for about the same rate.

Hope this helps.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Frankly, I would be VERY surprised if there weren't an ATM SOMEWHERE at the Vienna airport and unlike Edward I actually did arrive at an airport once (Linate) and the ATM was broken.

I know you want it shipped to your home but i would't bother with any of this finding a bank's website, etc., etc., or waiting for it to arrive at my home.

Since you don't worry much about the rates and you have to go to the airport ANYWAY, stop at the currency exchange at the departure airport, get your money, and fly.

Why hassle with the other stuff? BUT I do think you should take advantage of ATMs in Europe once you get there.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:53 AM
ira

Hi V,

>I would be VERY surprised if there weren't an ATM SOMEWHERE at the Vienna airport ...<

I went to their website. They show an exchange bureau, but not an ATM.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:05 AM

I've flown into Vienna's airport and I don't recall seeing any ATM's, so I think the information above is correct. There are several currency exchanges though.

I bought Euro's from home and had them delivered one time, and I wouldn't do it again. Its just not worth the price. I would look for an ATM in Vienna or just use the currency exchange bureaus in either the Vienna airport or your departing airport.

Tracy
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Underhill, have you posted about this trip elsewhere? I don't remember reading about it; a river cruise on the Danube? Sounds wonderful; when do you leave?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Underhill: Both the main BofA at 12th and K and the main Wells Fargo on Capitol Mall usually have foreign currency. Not always so it is good to call ahead.

I'd still wait until your departure airport or Vienna. Are you flying out of SFO or SMF? If SMF - then I'd wait until your connecting airport. But the Bureau de change at Vienna will give you a bit better exchange rate than one at a US airport.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:34 AM

You can buy them through your bank and receive the money in a couple of days. Or you can buy them right at the airports in Europe. They have ATM's all over at the airport as well as in every town in Euorpe no matter how small. I remember being in Buonconvento, Italy and there being 3 banks in a very very small piazza and there were 3 ATMS. Just like in the USA, on every corner.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I've never found an iternational airport then didn't have ATMs. A search on Google for Vienna International Airport provided this official info from the website:

"AIRPORT FACILITIES
Money and communications: The airport has banks in both the Arrivals and Departures halls. ATMs and bureau de change facilities are available throughout."

On another travel site an apparently knowledgeable Vienna resident says one is available immediately after clearing customs.

I'll post a question: If you don't know an answer why post with erroneous info?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM

BTW, Underhill, if the ATM is broken or not available for any reason, you can use your ATM card by going to a teller in a bank and asking for cash. Unless you are arriving at an odd time you should have no difficulty getting Euros at the Vienna airport. There should be no fees above what the ATM charges.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM

jsmith,

I hope you're not calling anyone here a liar. That's pretty risky these days
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I finally ordered Euros from Bank of America. And I did find a web site that claims there are 2 ATMs at the Vienna International Airport, but I'll believe that when I see them!

Thanks for checking, Ira--there seems to be no consensus on the various web sites about those pesky little ATMs .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -