Best place to base on the Costa Brava

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am planning a family trip to Northern Spain June 8-27. The plan is to fly into Barcelona, pick up a car and spend a few days on the Costa Brava. After that, we will head to Lleida to stay with our cousins. Then off to Pamplona to visit my Basque cousins and find our "roots".

Right now, I would like advice on where to base on the Costa Brava to relax, recover from jet lag and enjoy the coast. It will be DH, DD(age 13), me and my aunt(she is 75, in great shape and fluent in Spanish). I have been considering Cadeques. Any other recs for locations/hotels is needed.

I will post additional questions as my plans progress. Thank you.

MY
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadaques sounds like what you are looking for. It is on the coast and you can go from there to some other places along the coast and inland (Figueres).

Search it and you will find quite a few posts dealing with hotels and other information.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks laclaire. I've been noting your advice on Barcelona also. We may spend a few days in BCL at the end of the trip, but I can't plan much until we see the cousins. Last time we were there in 1990, we only had about 2 hrs. to see Barcelona, since we spent days having lunch and dinner with different family members!! Great food though!!

Thanks.

MY
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Cadaqués is a good choice. In fact anywhere north of Lloret de Mar will be fine.
Palamós is nice too, as well as Pals and Rosas. IMO the beaches are nicer than in Cadaqués.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM

We stayed at Llane Petit in Cadaques a few years ago. Price is reasonable and you can have a sea view..it is a bit of a walk to the town, though.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM

MY- you are so lucky! I did not see BCN before it underwent serious urban renovation for the 1992 Olympics, but I am really interested in the changes of the past 15 years. I would be really interested to hear what you think abou the changes if you can remember how the city was before. It is one of my pet research projects.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info.

I have seen the Llane Petit in the Rick Steve's guide. Have also been looking at a place called Playa del Sol. Any other recs or reviews would be appreciated.

Thank,

MY