Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place for 6 day European Honeymoon in April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 05:36 AM
BranV

We would like to spend 5 days touring (with 2 days travel on airplane) within Europe starting April 9, 2001 for our Honeymoon. Neither of us have ever been to Europe. I have a fascination with the Alps & Italy, and he's got a thing for castles. B/c of pics we've seen, we are torn between Bavaria, Switzerland, Scotland & Italy. We are on a budget of $3500 US, so we can't do carte blanche. I also don't know what to expect in those areas weather and crowd wise in early April (this is the week before Easter). Can anyone offer me their opinions on either of these? Thanks so much!

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Christine

You're going to get tons of different opinions on this, but for what it's worth here is my take. <BR> <BR>You can probably eliminate Scotland considering the weather for that time of year. And with only 5 days (and you WILL be tired from the trip and the wedding) I strongly suggest you stay in one area with no more then two hotels and limited amount of traveling. <BR> <BR>I happen to live in Switzerland. Yes, it is breathtaking but for that time of year you must consider that it is the end of the ski season and hiking will be very limited. Weather is mixed. <BR> <BR>I think Italy is your best bet. I am going to suggest you consider either Rome/Sorrento or Venice/Bellagio. <BR> <BR>With a Rome/Sorrento Itinerary you could easily visit Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and all the wonderful sites Rome has to offer without too much traveling. <BR> <BR>Venice/Bellagio would offer you some mountain views (and yes even castles) with the romance of Venice. <BR> <BR>Good Luck

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 09:53 AM
lstalter

April in Portugal can be lovely. Relatively short flight from US, can be very good, i.e. warm to hot weather, Lisbon and Sintra beautiful, rent a car and stay in pousadas out in the Alentejo. One week is perfect, food great, good wines, still affordable. PS <BR>rent the car at the airport on your way out of Lisbon, don't drive in Lisbon. Good places: Evora, Elvas, Estremoz, Tomar - castles/palaces/sights/roman ruins, etc. <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Thyra

Well given your Alpine thing and your husband to be's castle thing. I would highly recommend Bavaria. I've been there several times and absolutely loved it! You could easily do Munich, lots of fun, visit, Newschweinstein (spelling) Mad Ludwig II's Castle, which Sleeping Beauty's castle is based upon. Then you could go to Salzburg which is one of the most wonderful towns in Austria. There are many Fodor's readers who can give more Castle info.I highly recommend Salzburg you will not be dissapointed.We had no problems with people not speaking English and if you shop around you can find charming places to stay that don't cost a fortune, there are tours and one of the nicest castles in central Europe overlooking Salzburg, plus the semi-Cheesy but fun Sound of Music connection and tours. We were there the first week of April in 1998 (it was freakishly hot and sunny, to our surprise) and just LOVED it! Have a great trip.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 11:46 AM
Art

Bran IMO Bavaria is a hotspot of castles, some of the most beautiful, Salzberg, one of the most charming cities that I've ever seen, and Venice, the most romatic city that I've ever been in. <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Matt

Lisbon is great in April. Terrific views and don't forget to have some vino verde to celebrate your honeymoon.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 12:03 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Well, I see 2 viable options--both good. <BR>I agree with Art--5 days in Bavaria, <BR>staying 2 nites in Salzburg and 2 nites <BR>in Oberammergau would be wonderful. <BR>The Munich airport is only 2 hours from <BR>Salzburg, so you could either start or <BR>end there. <BR> <BR>But, the Amalfi coast is special in April and is also a great choice. <BR>I would do 2 nites in Rome, then down to <BR>Sorrento or Positano for 3 nites, and spend your last nite in Gaeta, 2 hours drive from the Rome airport. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio--both are good good options <BR>