Reload this Page >

Best picks in Munich

Search

Best picks in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Debbie

Best picks in Munich

We will be in Munich for 2 days and 1 night. please tell me what is not to be missed. I was thinking about the museum, but my husband thinks we ought to take tours of the country side. We want to get the essence of the area. What do you think? <BR>Debbie

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 02:39 PM
geoff

I'm not sure which one of the many museums you mean, but in general I would have to say that there are so many opportunities outside the city, it would be a shame to miss them. At night go out to one of the beer halls, probably stay away from the big touristy Hofbrauhaus, and try something like Augistiner. But during the day a side trip to Luwdiwig's castles Neuschwanstein, Herrn Chiemsee, and Linderhof is terriffic. You can easily get a guided tour that stops at both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof with a shopping stop on Oberammergau. Saves you the train trip or car rental for not too much more. Or towards Austrian you can day trip to Berchtesgaden and Saltzburg. There are definitely things to do in the city, but for a first timer, I would suggest the country side as well. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Debbie

geoff - thanks so much for responding - Debbie

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:27 AM
joe

I would stay in Munich this time,there is more than enough to do in two days. The modern and ancient art museums are world class. The Deutches Museum is a facinating look at technology. The Residenz and Schatzkammer give a glimpse of royal life. The beer.Bavaria and Munich are very different than the rest of Germany.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:44 PM
ellen

If you have two full days you might want to visit Dachau (closed on Monday). It's an easy trip on public transportation from Munich. If you get there around 9:00 or so, you can beat the crowds. You can see everything in 60-90 minutes and it doesn't have to take a big chunk out of your day.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ann

Debbie, I agree with Joe that you will not be able to do justice to either Munich or its environs in such a short time if you try to do both, so stick with the city. There's so much to see there! You certainly can't miss going to the Marienplatz, not only for the glockenspiel (although be sure to see it and stay until the cock crows!), but also for the Viktualienmarkt just beyond it, the churches along the walkplatz to it, and the Residenz, just down the street from it. Go up the tower of the "Alter Peter," the city's oldest parish church, of St. Peter, and get a fine view all the way to the Alps if it's a nice day. Stop for a beer under a tree in the market to cool off when you come down. Or go through the market and turn right into Tal to reach the Weisses Brauhaus for authentically Bavarian food. Try to see the Asamkirche and at least a bit of the Residenz (it's HUGE!) and do take the subway out to Nymphenburg, which is the lovely and peaceful summer palace of the Bavarian princes and kings. And that doesn't even take into account the Alte Pinakothek, on of the best art galleries in Europe, or the Deutsches Museum for the science/technology inclined, or the BMW museum for auto and motorcycle fans. Or the wonderful beer gardens, which is where you'll find much of the population on summer evenings. I think you'll quickly fill up your two days, even with the great public transport system to whisk you between attractions. And do save time for window shopping in this friendly city where half the people are chic business people and the other half are wearing elegant dirndls and lederhosen. It's fascinating!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Debbie

Again, thanks to all for your input. We will be staying with friends in Southern Germany and be able to do justice to that area. Ann, thanks for your extensive commentary and I appreciate all lengths of suggestions about our brief stopover. Thanks again - Debbie