Best Month to Visit Spain?

Dec 27th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Estela

Best Month to Visit Spain?

Hi all! My husband and I would like to visit Spain for the first time during 2001. Which would you say is the best month to visit taking into consideration climate, amount of tourists and prices? How much time should we allocate to this vacation (1 or 2 weeks)? Any good guide books I should get? Any places to avoid? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Dec 27th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Larry

I went to Spain in May and it was wonderful, but a little crowded. Airfare was reasonable as well.

Dec 28th, 2000, 06:36 AM
A. Nonymus

Estela, I hate to discourage you--but my recommendation would be that you find somewhere else to go. Spain sucks. The people are rude, especially the men, and the place is NOT safe. We were mugged in a very public place in Madrid while at least 2 dozen people just stood around and watched. The muggers had knives and my friend had to be hospitalized for cuts received when she didn't move fast enough to suit them. The police couldn't care less...we believe they're part of the problem. They refused to do anything except blow smoke in our faces when we tried to explain what happened. A trip to the American Embassy in Madrid revealed numerous other travelers who had had the same experience--or worse--that we had. We all vowed that we'll never set foot in Spain again. Try Ireland.....it's gorgeous and the people are very friendly!

Dec 28th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Maira

Estela--- Spain is absolutely beautiful with wonderful people. There are "bad apples", no doubt, but to banned an entire country and all its people for these incidents is very unfair. I have traveled Spain, both with company and by myself. It is probably one (if not the most) of the countries where I have felt the safest. Have some safety common sense; trust your instincts and ENJOY yourself!

Dec 28th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Tangata

A couple of years ago my wife and I were there for Holy week and that was fantastic. No we are not religious.

We were also there for a week in July this year. Hot but again great.

Take as long as you can, there is a lot to see. Email me if you would like a copy of my diary.

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:06 AM
jim

April-May is a good time, but it depends on what part(s) of Spain you're considering. For instance, the Costa del Sol is especially nice in early May -- good beach weather, etc.

Dec 28th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Estela

Thank you all for the information. I think I will take my chances and visit Spain! From pricing the tickets, I think October is looking like the cheapest time to go. Any advice on travelling during the month of October?

Dec 28th, 2000, 04:13 PM
Pedro

In my opinion early May, last fortnight of September and early October are the best periods to come to Spain. May and October maybe cheaper. Must sees for me:

Sevilla/Granada/Cordoba and Ronda in the south

Toledo,Albarracin, Trujillo, Segovia,Madrid, Salamanca and Cuenca in the central area.

Santiago de Compostela, Picos de Europa area ( also the beaches ), Oviedo, Leon, Santillana del Mar and Barcelona in the northern part.

Any combination could become a good trip.

Dec 28th, 2000, 04:46 PM
russ i

Estella,

We did Bilbao, Zaragoza, Barcelona, Valencia and the Sevilla/ Granada/ Cordoba/Ronda loop a year ago during the first 2 weeks of October. It was cool and rainy in the north, warm and perfect in the south - about 80 degrees. Try to stay in some historic Paradores if you can. Our favorites were Hondarribia in the north and Carmona, outside of Sevilla in the south. The town of Carmona was wonderful as well. Have fun!