Best markets in Spain?

Search

Best markets in Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best markets in Spain?

I 'm a foodie and market nut. I really enjoyed the market in Sanlucar de Barrameda because of the seafood varieties [for example, the minscule, transparent shrimp that are cooked whole in the little "pancakes" - sorry 'bout that - I forget the name] La Boqeria has to on any list if only for the artful arrangements and displays. Green beans at "dress right dress", now that's pride! One that disappointed was downtown San Sebastian - the produce was super but somehow the location in the bottom of a mall seemed to take some of the fun out of it.

What are your favorites?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM

The Mercado Central in Valencia-a must see!

The Mercado de la Paz in Madrid's Salamanca quarter (fantastic for jamón ibérico and artisan cheeses at La Boulette)

The Mercado de la Ribera in Bilbao

The Mercado de la Bretxa in San Sebastián's Parte Vieja (Old Quarter)

The Mercado de Abastos in Santiago de Compostela

the newly renovated Mercado de San Miguel at Plaza San Miguel in Madrid, I don't believe, has opened yet (??). Do you know when it will finally open, Revulgo?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM

No longer for food stalls, but also in Valencia the newly perfectly renovated Modernista Mercado Colon is a fabulous meeting place, now offering a variety of sidewalk cafés and occasional jazz and recital evenings on the ground floor.

http://www.grupoelalto.com/eng/

The lower floor boasts excellent delicatessans and a fish shop,as well as music/book stores and another restaurant.

Gourmet dining is on the top floor under an amazing tiled ceiling .
Open this link, go to restaurants, then above that click on "alto de colon".

http://www.grupoelalto.com/eng/
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Hi lin,
Yes! I really loved the Mercado Colón. And that deli and fish shop downstairs are really, truly gourmet. Do you know what happened to the gorgeous ceramics shop (from Manises) that used to be on the corner, ground floor? I saw it two years ago, and now it's gone.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 01:25 AM

Probably went out of business THERE. I am not familiar with the name, but they could have moved elsewhere a little more tourist oriented.

One of the best large group meals I have ever had was at the Alto de Colon. We attended a private dinner there, and the srvice and food was perfect, even for such a large group.

Of course, that could change.. but the place is absolutely gorgeous.

Next time you are NEAR here, Maribel, I DO want a coffee together if you can squeeze me in! I'd even drive a couple hours to meet up!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Maribel,

When I was in Madrid late March the Mercado San Miguel had not open yet. From what I could see they were still working inside it.