Search

Best maps?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best maps?

We will be driving for 2 weeks - Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Austria and Germany.

What have you found to have good detail and is easy to read?

I saw something ?? Atlas advertised as having points of interest as well as back roads. Anyone know of these?

We would love to take the GPS but getting all the maps would cost more than a plane ticket.

Thanks all!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
J62

I bring with me an AAA map of any country I'm visiting and pick up a good, more detailed map from somebody like ADAC (in Germany) at a local gas station. They all seem to have a selection of national, regional and city maps.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM

In our experience, the most reliable maps have been the Michelin Regional Maps. Very detailed.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Hi
That's a lot of countries to be visiting in 2 wks. Have you considered narrowing it down? As far as best maps go I prefer freytag & berndt.The cover is firmer and the paper is a better quality than Michelin. I do also use Michelin though. When you purchase a map look for the print date, for some of the countries you're going to visit. If the map is more than 2 yrs. old see if a newer addition is there. In Central Europe new roads are being built and the older maps may not have it listed.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi wn,

Are you sure about this itinerary?

Six countries in 14 days?

You will lose about 1.5 days just getting to/from Europe, and another 4 days in driving from one city to another.

However, I am partial to the Michelin maps and the Green Guides.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Where are you traveling FROM? I've seen GPS European mapping discs which cost far less than a plane ticket UNLESS you already live in Europe!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!
I have some of the AAA maps, need to get one more, looked up the Michelin, will be ordering at least one.

Intrepid1 - the basic GPS European program is close to $200 but doesn't cover Croatia, Hungary, Slovenia or much of Czech Republic - those would have to come from a third party source for more than $150 each. Just seems to add up to too much.

Ira & aeiger - yes it does seem like a lot for 2 weeks, I'm going to post our itinerary later for thoughts. Keep on the look out!
We will only be in the edge of Hungary.... we like seeing some museums, etc., but really enjoy driving through the country side and stopping when we want - hence the need for good maps. Going in July so we do have reservations in most places.

I never would have thought about checking for dates... the huge one we have on the wall is older but is not detailed so we won't take it anyway. Just using it for our general route.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Hi
As you are planning your itinarery check out www.viamichelin.com they will plot your milage and time from place to place on a map. It's free and very useful