Reload this Page >

Best hotel location in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Tuula

Looking for a central area to stay in Rome that gives best walking access to major tourist areas. We walk everywhere for miles and miles. We walked from Le Pantheon in Paris to L'Arc Triomphe so it's not a problem. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated also. About $150.00 to $200.00 (USD) per night with en suite facilities. Maybe with breakfast included in a cozt breakfast room. Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:05 AM
DAVE

My wife and I found a great hotel location with the added benefit of a rooftop garden (one of the rooms is actually a separate suite on the roof). It is called Hotel Carriage, and is located near the base of the Spanish Steps on Via Della Caroce (sic?) We particularly liked the location because we walk everywhere and its at the bottom of the hills,,,,,which means that after a long day of walking, you don't then have to contemplate a long walk uphill as you would if you stayed at the Hasler for example......it is also very near the pedestrian shopping streets and many outdoor cafes.....Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:09 AM
gina

I would second the suggestion of staying at the Spanish Step area. In addition to being walkable to many sights, you can access the subway easily. That comes in particularly handy if you want to take day trips from the train station because there is a metro stop there.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Annie

We also stayed at the Hotel Carriage and agree that the location is wonderful. They do have a few very, very small rooms. We were originally given one of these rooms and asked to be moved. The room they moved us to was a larger corner room and suited us fine. There are also many nice neighborhood type restaurants close by.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:18 AM
ellen

I'm going to be a dissenter; there are lots of folks who like to stay near the Spanish Steps but I was in Rome in December and was glad I was not staying near the Steps, which I finally found after walking quite a ways from what I think is the more central area - the Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Campo di Fiori area, even the Roman Forum. I was staying just around the corner from the Piazza Navona (in a convent for $35 a night) where I was just two or three blocks from the Pantheon and Campo di Fiori and was close enough to walk to the Vatican in 20-25 minutes and also Trastevere. It would be a much longer walk from the Spanish Steps area. Just my opinion. By the way, I would recommend the Albergo Cesari, which is sort of between the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps, closer to the Pantheon. A single room was $100 a night.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:20 AM
m

The Spanish Steps area is fine but I prefer the historic center, which is the area near the Pantheon/piazza navona/campo di fiori. Walking distance to almost everythings and great little streets and piazzas to wander around with shops, restaurants and cafes. Also near tram to trestavere. I stayed at Albergo Santa CHiara, there's many comments on this hotel on this board.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Celeste

I prefer the area around Campo Di Fiore/Largo Argentina which is just south of Piazza Navona by about two or three blocks. I paid about $90 for a bed and breakfast there.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:26 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Piazza Navona and Pantheon region is my pick. Hotels Santa Chiara, Del Senato,<BR>Cesari are my favs. Good luck !

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:09 PM
steve

I've stayed both near the Spanish Steps and near the Pantheon. While either area is fine, we really liked the Pantheon location. We stayed at the Santa Chiara and were very pleased.