Best hostel in Amsterdam?

Jul 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Best hostel in Amsterdam?

I guess I mean, cleanest, best organized, safest..any ideas?
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM

I've been observing the Amsterdam hostel scene for years and this is a tough question.

the only ones i think would fulfill this for sure would be the two HI Hostelling Internation hostels - the 'official' youth hostels of the HI hostelling federation, born in Nazi Germany i believe and now all over the world

Anyway the two in Amsterdam - one near the University on Kalveniersburgwal (sp?) and the much large one in Vodel Park (Vondel Park Hostel) certainly fit the bill.

Others - do you research as there are the proverbial flea-bag dumps, some of which i had the misfortune to stay in.

I'd look at Let's Go europe, in any library or bookstore as they give unparalleled coverage of hostels - probably listing dozens of official and the many more private hostels and critiquing them

(If they have the words "Closed noon-5pm ostensibly for cleaning" watch out.

But amsterdam presents a special challenge not to get in a dump - avoid the touts at Centraal train station who will lead you to a hostel, despite the nice pictures they'll show you. And there are many down and out drug addicts it seems in some of these so really do some research.

Most are decent enough but some you'd rather sleep on the street.
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM

The HI hostels are called Stayokay - www stayokay.com. The Vondelpark hostel sounds very good offering a restaurant, internet acces, bike rental, washers etc. I would say it probably qualifies as the best in Amsterdam.

And the first Youth hostels were founded in 1912 in Germany- long before the Nazis got involved. The first international conference to spread the idea was held in Amsterdam in 1932.
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:54 AM

sorry - you're no doubt right but i think under Nazism they really got their push as the idea fit right into with the youth corps mania. That's was i read anyway.
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM

anyway the mention of Nazis relays how HI hostels for years were run - a Naxi type was often in charge and there were a host of rules - such as folks staying there had to do chores

and lock out during the day; curfews as early as 10pm

and lots of Verboten - and 'wardens' as they were called acted often like martinet dictators.

luckily this has all changed and HI hostels these days are very client oriented - some even have pubs on the premises.
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

We have tried the one at Vondelpark and it appears to be booked that week. I have a pretty good rate at the Owl hotel...but it is for my son and two other 20 soemthings..do these hotels frown on young ones coming in after midnight?
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM

not if they're quiet - i've never seen a hotel that has a curfew - they usually are either staffed all night or they give you a code for the lock or a key

folks that age in Amsterdam are mainly going OUT and that time, not returning!
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM

And, as my similarly aged son once experienced, if they are too loud they may just get the boot.
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...I would want them in a non-sleezy hostel and if that can't be..well maybe the Owl Hotel? I know they might want something else!
Jul 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM

don't know diddily about Owl Hotel but if it's really cheap - really cheap it could be worse than a sleazy hostel. there are plenty of 'hotels' in Amsterdam that you would not want them in.

That said if it were listed by the Amsterdam Tourist Board (VVV) or guidebooks, etc. it's probably OK

I don't know if Owl Hotel is a regular hotel or a flea-bag hotel.
Jul 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

It pops up a lot on fodors as a good place and tripadvisor has lots of good reviews on it..so I feel it is better than many..cheap meant about 154.00 Canadian for 2 people or 128 euros.
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Yes at that price it's certainly a proper hotel where you should have no worries. No doubt nice clean place with unlimited breakfast - worth a lot in this rather expensive country.
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

okeedokee..thanks
Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Vondelpark appears to have no availibility..the Stay Okay Zeeburg(opened last month) does..where is this..too far out?
Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM

For that price you can stay at a normal 3-star. I stayed at Hotel Kap and it was great. Breakfast included. It's out near Leidseplein area. Safe enough for you but 'funky' enough and very Amsterdam-ish atmosphere to make your kids happy.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM

www.kaphotel.nl
Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Suze..will research that one..also the Bridge Hotel and Aalders Hotel..would that be a good location for people seeking nightlife as well as regular sights?
Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM

Do you have a map of Amsterdam? I planned my trip using the guidebook "Let's Go Amsterdam" and think this would be an excellent resource for 20 year olds to plan their trip.

I don't happen to know the location of those particular hotels you mention above. Where are you getting these hotel names from (if you don't mind my asking)? And have you read reviews over on www.tripadvisor.com for each one?
Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM

Owl Hotel is well recommended, from mainstream (read that to mean not backpacker) guides and is considered a very acceptable hotel in Amsterdam - just has a strange name. Is well located for tourists but as far as nightlife for 20 somethings, I don't know. It is where I will stay next trip to Amsterdam based on friends and guides reccos.

Post back here and let us know how you like it.
Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Owl hotel does not have a triple room.they would have to get 2 rooms which makes it a bit pricier. I use trip advisor all the time. Another hotel I emailed was full(Hotel Fita) and they recommended Aalders..I went to a travel book store and got the names from there btw. Just waiting to hear back on their rates. I certainly will let you know how it went..thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO