Best high-yield reading for Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What books have you read that were the best "bang for buck" in terms of time investment?

Before travelling to France as a high school kid years ago, I read stacks of tomes including Hugo, Balzac, Voltaire, Flaubert....quite educational, but low yield in terms of understanding France as a whole since they were fairly specific. Alas, now having less time to read that widely, I'm keen to find books that give a broad understanding of key themes. Think potted histories, historical fiction, biographies, that sort of thing - easily digestible but informative reading. Not necessarily packed with dates and facts, but that convey the flavour of important places, periods or personalities.

Examples
-Rick Steves' Europe 101: currently reading this and highly recommend it. It's a whirlwind tour of European history and art in ~350 pages and in a humourous, conversational style. I think of it as a "coathanger" - provides a framework on which to hang more detailed readings.
-Sarum, Edward Rutherfurd. This is next on my reading list. English history from prehistoric times onwards, through multiple generations of several fictional families.
-The Agony and the Ecstasy, Irving Stone. I read this fictionalised biography of Michelangelo ages ago, and it was extremely useful for Italy, because Renaissance art so prominent there.
-Lust for Life, Washington Irving. Another fictionalised biography, of Van Gogh. Also read it yonks ago, but remember it being good for getting acquainted with Impressionism.
-Outlander series, Diana Gabaldon. Partway through this, and it's been a fun way to absorb Scottish history in Bonnie Prince Charlie times.

I'm especially seeking books for Spain and Morocco. The New Spaniards by John Hooper is a good overview of modern Spain, but something covering the Moorish period onwards would be nice.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Would just like to add that I consider the top 2 (Europe 101, Sarum) high yield, while the others are more medium-yield as they don't have as broad a focus.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with your list. Rick Steves' books very helpful S well as others you list.
Spain:Mark Kurlanshy's BSque History of the World and Penelope Casas' Discovering Spain.
Sorry I can't recall one about Moors although People of the Book has a chapter set in those times.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
That is Basque History of the World
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM

For Spain definitely James Micheners Iberia. It's not a historical fiction like some of his other books but various anecdotes etc. from his extensive travels in Spain over many years.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Edward Rutherfurd's novels? I'd think they would be high-yield; they certainly yield enough orders for paper supplies by the publisher!

I'd pick The Count of Monte Cristo -- the full version.

Alan Furst's Dark Star also works.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Any of the Michener books that are about a country are outstanding, "Poland", maybe even the "Drifters", etc. I liked "London" and "Pillars of the Earth." for England.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM
ira

Hi syd,

I think that "Innocents Abroad" (Mark Twain) should be must reading for anyone who goes beyond their home state.

Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:42 AM

I can't resist mentioning to you "English History made Brief, Irreverent, and Pleasurable" by Lacey Baldwin Smith, which I just received as a gift. I've just started reading it but I think it is a real WINNER.

I have also found H.V.Morton's books on Italy to be profoundly worth while, e.g. "A Traveller In Italy," "A Traveller in Rome," "A Traveller in London." Although they may be out of print, there has been somewhat of a resurgence of interest, so possibly available.

There are a lot of well written tomes, but I don't think I know any about Morocco, except perhaps reading Paul Bowles, but there I think you get more "atmosphere" than perhaps you are looking for.

Good luck in your most interesting search.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM

If there's one single book that I prize more than any other for its insights into Europe, it would be Sir Kenneth Clark's "Civilisation" based on his television series of the same name.

The series was broadcast in the late 1960's (and is now available in DVD, which I have). Of course there weren't any DVDs or videotapes available at the time so I took the book with me when we lived in Europe for several years in the early 1970's. It proved to be invaluable in putting things in perspective and also in suggesting places to visit and things to see. It's not a guidebook but in its way far more valuable as a guide to the great places and works of Europe than any Michelin or Rick Steves (or Fodors, for that matter).

I don't know if its still in print, but most libraries should have a copy. Even better, get the full DVD set.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Just a footnote to "Civilisation". I checked on Amazon and the book is still in print. BTW, shortly after the series aired, Sir Kenneth Clark became Lord Clark.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM

One book I really liked was "The Constant Princess" about Katherine of Aaragon who eventually married Henry the 8th. It gave me new appreciation for Spain during the time of the Moors and the positive aspects of that civilization. Its probably more of a women's book tho - can't tell by your name if you are female.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips guys. "Civilisation" especially seems rather promising, from the title!

I am female, Tez is for Tina

Btw just randomly, have you heard of BetterWorldBooks?
http://www.betterworldbooks.com/
They do decent 2nd hand books and it benefits literacy charities. $3 USD shipping worldwide.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 11:43 PM

I second the idea of reading "Civilisation" - a fantastic introduction to European themes, philosophies, history and quite deep ideas told in a really meaty, but enjoyable way. It's one of my favourite books to introduce teenagers to the idea of historical context, a really brilliant read!
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM

The Discovery of France by Graham Robb

Fascinating book covering the history of what is now called France from the earliest days. The author has studied and travelled the country all his working life. Cheap on Amazon at the moment.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM

Another for <i>Civilisation</i>.

And the brick-like <i>Europe: A History</i> by Norman Davies, with its many entertaining capsules, is good value for dipping into, but not for tired arms.

In the easy reading camp - <i>Apple's Europe: A Traveller's Companion</i> by R W Apple Jnr and Robert Lacey's <i>Great Tales from English History</i> series.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM

For Spain I really enjoyed three memoirs, Norman Lewis's Voices of the Old Sea (about the Costa Brava), Laurie Lee's As I Walked out one Midsummer Morning and Rose Macaulay's The Fabled Shores
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM

Washington Irving did not write "Lust for Life." It was written by Irving Stone. Washington Irving wrote (among other things) "Tales of the Alhambra" during the time he lived in Spain inside the Alhambra. Many people consider it one of the finest books of travel romance ever written -- but I hesitate to recommend it to you, given your stated preferences.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, the Irvings got me confused. Have seen lots of recommendations for Tales of the Alhambra. Might get the audiobook version for listening on the trip. Full text version of it here, if anyone's interested http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/i/irving/washington/i72a/

Further finds - can't personally vouch for them, but they might be worth a look.
-The Annotated Mona Lisa, "a crash course in art history". Quite highly rated by readers. Gombrich's Story of Art might be good too.
-A Stranger in Spain is the Spanish title the HV Morton series mentioned above.
-For world history, there's A Very Short History of the World by Geoffrey Blainey. For kids there's A Little History of the World by Gombrich and The Story of Mankind, by Van Loon & Merriman. The latter's full text can be found here http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/754
-In Morocco, Edith Wharton. More travelogue than primer on Morocco, but hey it's free and fairly short http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/11104
-A Short History of Europe, Gordon Kerr. New, published this year.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

The Fabled Shore mentioned above is also downloadable
http://www.archive.org/details/fable...fromt013738mbp

These are all legal downloads, of course, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -