best handbag for travel

Search

best handbag for travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best handbag for travel

I am wondering what is the best type of handbag to bring to Italy. Backpack? Shoulder bag? Are the pickpockets in Rome as bad as I have read about so that a money belt in order? I would like to carry a digital camera, cell phone, glasses...
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:56 PM

I would recommend doing a search by keywords "travel handbag". There have been a few threads recently.

I use two different bags, depending on what kind of sightseeing I'm doing, both made by Daymakers of Santa Barbara.

The site is: www.daymakers.com

Good luck!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:29 PM

cj...Good thread on this subject below (if the link does not work this way, just click on my name and scroll to the thread that way)

Fodors.com > Travel Talk > Europe > Travel Purse Suggestions....HELP!!!

krix...heading to daymakers now!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:46 PM

KRIX...WHOO, WHOO!
YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY!!!

I am always looking for a very long strap and Daymakers makes one that can be added on to anything...now I can get this great purse I've wanted and make the strap the perfect length!

(jumping up and down!)...THANKS!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:20 AM
Slw

After reading another post about travel handbags I purchased the Ameribag Healthy backpack. I love it for travel. It's snug to my body, the zipper is in front where I can see it, it holds all the things I need on a day of sight seeing, documents, travel book, water, camera but is comfortable to carry. My husband will even sling it over his shoulder occasionally!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:24 AM

Ditto the Healthy Back bag. Purchased medium size taupe microfiber for trip to Europe, liked it so much I purchased smaller-sized leather model for regular purse at home. The medium size is as much room as you are likely to need for a combo purse/daypack, and I agree that one of the plusses is that a man can (will?) carry it because it is very unisex in appearance. (Tell him it is a backpack.)
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:53 AM

I got this shoulder bag from QVC for my recent trip to London and it worked out great. It's a hands-free bag that lays flat against your stomach and has lots of room for everything (including a camera and a bottle of water.

Here's the info. The url is really long - so go to qvc.com and search for the item number.

<b>Item Number F8399
Travelon Large Travel Shoulder Bag

Retail Value $37.50
QVC Price $23.87
Shipping and Handling $4.47

Have bag, will travel. Sling this Travelon bag over your shoulder and hit the road! Its stylish, hands-free design is great for trips or everyday use. The lightweight, durable, black microfiber shell looks sleek and is outfitted with a rear zip pocket, an adjustable shoulder strap, and a front flap panel with a zip pocket on top. Its front flap opens via magnetic snap closure to reveal an underside mesh zipper pocket. The gusseted front organizer supplies an ID window, passport and ticket slides, card and cell phone slides, and a mesh zip pocket. Its fully lined, roomy interior offers two additional slide pockets and a rear mesh pocket.

Measures 10&quot; x 9-1/2&quot; x 3&quot;.</b>

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM

There are pickpockets in Rome. And, most are children. Just stay aware. They are very creative. My husband and I were traveling, and a few children were around us in a very busy area. We opened our backpack, and it appeared as if one of the children was going to try to grab something out of it. That was just a diversion, as another was trying to grab his wallet from his pocket. Luckily, he realized it, and all was well. I have heard many stories of women putting their purse on a chair, or at their feet in an outdoor cafe. A diversion is created, their attention is drawn to it, and the next thing they realize is their purse is stolen. Don't let it overwhelm your trip, but just stay aware. Separate your money, credit cards, etc, so if something does happen, you will have a fall back.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll contribute my standard answer, I choose one of my pocketbooks from home. A normal generous sized leather pouch with zipper and thick shoulder strap that can go across the body or just over the shoulder.

I don't like to use new or different things when I travel. I think it just confuses things and leads to possible mistakes (misplaced items, new purse is not as comfortable as anticipated to use, etc.).
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM

I love my medium Healthy Back bag for travel. It has so many pockets that I always know where everything is, despite the fact that I only use it for travel. I also take along a small (very small) purse to wear when I don't need all my junk (usually one I got on sale someplace).

And that's what I'm looking for now since mine has given up the ghost. I have several criteria that I'm hoping for; found them in one at daymakers, but it is a long purse rather than wide, which I prefer. Found a good possibility at QVC, but it was RED! So I'll keep watching this thread.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:31 AM

regardless of what type of handbag, backpack, etc. you use, my advice is to keep a small amount of cash (20 euro or so) in your pocket. this way when you want to buy a coffee or something in a crowded market, you can just quickly reach into your pocket rather than making a show of taking out your wallet and putting it back.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:14 AM

I too have the taupe Ameribag healthy backback and have carried it on a number of European and domestic trips and think it is great. However, does anyone know how to clean the bag?
Thanks for any information.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM

..I am with Suze as I was when this last came up for discussion. I use the same shoulder bag as I do at home. It is zippered and leather (I think a kenneth Cole but I cant remember). The only time I dont bring my usual handbag is when I am hiking..then I bring my usual backpack!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM

Billruth, I have cleaned just about everything off my microfiber bag with a wipe, the kind of travel wipes I always keep in my purse and car. If you have a young child, try one of your baby wipes--same thing.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

I love the 7 pocket bag at Daymakers. All those little pockets and such to keep things handy and in order. But the idea of bringing my own bag hadn't even occured to me. I have been so concerned about &quot;fitting in&quot; in Europe that maybe I am trying too hard. I do own a cute Nine West backpack.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM

Similar to what Nutella mentioned, I leave my wallet at home. I use a couple different small coin purses instead. With one card (ATM or credit) and local currency in each.

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Also a big THANKS for all the suggestions! I love this website, it has really helped me with this trip (that is fast approaching). CJ
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM

And hopefully without boring you all with my details, I recently started using a couple of clear plastic cosmetic bags (great for knowing where everything is at a glance). Personally I don't care for a bunch of little pockets in my bag because I can never remember what is where!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM

BillRuth, I throw mine in the washing machine. It does get filthy on cafe floors, rubbing against Metro doors, etc. I think it still looks nice.

I, too, leave my regular wallet at home (as well as my drivers license) and carry a cute red wallet I got on sale at Galeries Lafayette probably 10 years ago or more. It is nice and flat with a double coin-purse section and a zipper section at the bottom where I keep my big bills. Before that, I carried a little trifold I got in a Florence market. Somehow I think for foreign currency it helps to have a wallet that was made for it....

Maybe I need to look for a new one since euros (any excuse for shopping).
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM

Oops! I just checked the Ameribag site, and here's what it says about cleaning:

&lt;Lightweight, water-resistant, polyester microfiber has been bonded to a nylon knit backing for added durability. Every microfibre bag is treated to resist stains. Clean only as needed with a damp cloth using a mild detergent solution. Do not bleach. Air-dry only - no heat.&gt;

Nylon bag instructions include machine washing.

But I will continue to throw mine in the washing machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -