Reload this Page >

Best European Ceramic Tiles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:04 AM
celeste

We are planning to customer built our house and we are very much interested to use a lot of ceramic tiles everywhere we can i.e., kitchen, bathrooms, stairs, patio, etc. Because of the amount of tiles we need, we decided to get them from the source as against buying here in US (East Coast, very expensive!). Which country in Europe has the best quality tiles at reasonable prices? We've been to Italy and did not see much;Spain,especially Triana in Seville has a lot of ceramic tile stores. Where else can you suggest we go to buy them? Thanks.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:29 AM
r

Hello ! <BR>I think that you have to search a little , and in advance prepare a budget. <BR>I my self, love ceramic tiles, and Iīve got in my houses ceramic tiles. Some in the floor, and some in the walls. <BR>Italian tiles are very good. Iīve got some things from REX.- excellent quality, hand painted. <BR>But, I also have Portuguese tiles. They are less expensive, but very good. <BR>I mixed both in order to low my budget. <BR>Spanish tiles, arenīt as good as the previous two. Spanish ones are made in large quantities, and even thow they are available worlwide, the colors and options can be a little ugly ( of course, Iīm talking ībout my preferences ). <BR>If you need more tips, post here

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:29 AM
r

Hello ! <BR>I think that you have to search a little , and in advance prepare a budget. <BR>I my self, love ceramic tiles, and Iīve got in my houses ceramic tiles. Some in the floor, and some in the walls. <BR>Italian tiles are very good. Iīve got some things from REX.- excellent quality, hand painted. <BR>But, I also have Portuguese tiles. They are less expensive, but very good. <BR>I mixed both in order to low my budget. <BR>Spanish tiles, arenīt as good as the previous two. Spanish ones are made in large quantities, and even thow they are available worlwide, the colors and options can be a little ugly ( of course, Iīm talking ībout my preferences ). <BR>If you need more tips, post here

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Diane

I'm a bit surprised you didn't see much in Italy -- we had just put down new ceramic tile (turned out it WAS from Italy) before we went to Italy. Seemed like everywhere we stayed, but particularly on the Amalfi Coast, the baths were done in wonderful ceramics or marbles. My parents lived in Texas for about 10 years, and had ceramic tile all over their home, most of which came from Mexico.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Pedro

We have worked fine with a girl that lives in the outskirts of Sevilla. She is a real artist making every ceramic piece exclusive and wonderful. She has her own oven so she makes all the proccess. I do not know exactly the prices but estimate they must be as the following: <BR> <BR>Tile 10x10 cms around 1000 pts ( 5.5 $ each) depending on the motive. She likes nature decoration as flowers, fruits, but I think she has a wider portfolio. <BR> <BR>Tile 20x20 cms around 2000 pts (11$ each). <BR> <BR>She might be able to send you some pictures of her work, this is her e-mail and telephone number, I am sure she will be glad to answer any question you could ask her: <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Her name is Cristina. <BR> <BR>954 18 02 33 <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:53 AM
celeste

Thank you all esp.to Pedro (I got a lot of help from you when I went to Spain 2 months ago. I did see a lot of marble in Italy but not ceramic tiles, except in southern part i.e., Sorrento (the hotel we stayed have tiles all over the place). However, I did not see ceramic tiles being sold in stores in Italy, unlike in Spain (esp. southern part again), they are all over. I am surprised about the quality of tiles in Portugal being better than in Spain. But I have not been in Portugal, so thanks for the feedback. Anymore, please. Thanks.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:59 AM
r

attention. I didnīt mean to say that all portuguese tiles were better than spanish ones. <BR>What I mean to say, is that you can balance a budget, by mixing the origins of the tiles. <BR>My bathroom, for example. I bought for the floor, italian ones from Rex, that costed me per square meter 10 times more than the portuguese that i bought for the walls, and the final result came out to be fantastic <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:32 PM
xxx

How on earth could you ship a large amount of tile back from Europe without it costing an arm and a leg? This is a serious question, as I would like to ship tile back also. Just thought the cost of doing so be prohibitive. Any input will be appreciated.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:48 PM
celeste

To xxx: We will bring with us (hand carried of course) some but most, we will have shipped. It will still come out much less. I know how much the tiles (at least in NYC & suburbs)cost and how much tiles for example in Seville cost(+ of course the shipping). Actually, now that Pedro recommended someone who can custom made them, I am now thinking of having my own design made. I brought back with me from Spain a mural made of tiles and just paid about $65 (hand-carried it). When I asked someone I know who does mural painting on tiles she quoted me about $500 plus!!! As far as quality, well I got so many raves from dinner guests (had it on the dining room wall). <BR> <BR>To R: Where in Portugal did you get your tiles? We would like very much to consider Portuguese tiles also (I would think they also cost less than Spain's?)Thanks.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Gloria

Hello, Celeste, <BR>I am an interior designer and look for these type of items during our travels. While in Portugal, home of those gorgeous azulejos, I came across a shop where the owner does restoration work all over Portugal. He can also be commissioned for specific projects. He was kind enough to make tiles for us while we were in Portugal. <BR>If you go to my photos at:http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1459728 and look at the Portugal pictures, you will see this artist and a sample of his work. I am currently working on a design for him that will be for a client. <BR>I will have to search for the address. Email me directly and I shall try to get that information to you as promptly as I can. <BR>The advice to mix the less expensive with more expensive is good advice. Just keep in mind that you need to match the tile thicknesses as well. <BR>Best of luck on your new home! <BR>Gloria <BR>