Reload this Page >

Best day trip fromLondon for nature lover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:05 PM
mandy

I'm planning to see Stonehenge, but I'm wondering what other day trip I might consider since I love nature, rolling green hills, streams, etc. Ive always wanted to see the Moors. Someone suggested Cottswalds (sorry if I'm misspelling, its late). I guess what I'm looking for is teh closest thing to the 'Tuscany of London day trips.'<BR><BR>Thoughts?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Patrick Wallace

Try http://www.nationaltrails.gov.uk for walks near London.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:18 AM
curt

I think you would enjoy the Cotswalds, very scenic and nice villages to visit. If you do not have a car doing the Cotswalds is a bit tricky, but can be done. If you have car, nice to drive through. Without car, you can take train to Oxford (or bus) and then hook with a local tour company. We did that and it was very nice. Small group in a mini-van with a very good guide. Spent a nice day seeing the Cotswalds, had nice pub lunch, and then back to OXford and then back to London.<BR><BR>Another idea if you want to stay in London and still see nice nature is to visit Kew Botanical Gardens...take a boat up the Thames, visit, then either boat or tube back to central London.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:05 AM
elaine

In addition to the above, closer to "home" is Hampstead Heath. It's not entirely wild, but it is beautiful.<BR><BR>Could you consider an overnight or 2 night trip? Perhaps start out straight from your arrival airport, travel for a couple of days, and then go to London?<BR>That opens a lot of possibilities as you can imagine.<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:08 AM
beth anderson

hi<BR><BR>I have not posted my trip report about my most recent trip to London yet, in fact I don't even think there is anything on this board about this... <BR><BR>Here is a delightful walk - and a nice day trip, close to London. I first found mention of this walk in the Washington Post about 3 years ago, and have saved the clipping since then with the intent to walk this - FINALLY did it, in March (on a lovely lovely, sunny day)<BR><BR>Eynsford and Otford, in Kent, are roughly 6 (8?) miles apart, and the preferred path follows the Darent River. From Victoria Station it's roughly a half an hour trip, maybe even a little less. I think it was less than 10 pounds return (buy a return ticket to Otford, but get off at Eynsford to walk to Otford for the ride home).<BR><BR>From what I understand these little villages have become a sort of bedroom community for the wealthy in London, so not only are the trains regular, I saw 4 Ferraris the day I did my walk - funny, to see them tooling through the little streets which at one point saw cattle, and horse drawn wagons...<BR><BR>At Eynsford, you will find a nearly 1000 year old village - it's been around since Norman times and in fact there is a Norman fortress there. (as well as a ford, hence the name.) There is also a beautiful old church. The day I went there was a vintage motorcycle rally going on - I chatted with the folks directing the bikes for a while, what a fun idea - and a great day for a motorcycle ride.<BR><BR>cont'd

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:09 AM
beth anderson

Walk over the little teeny bridge next to the ford and then follow the Darent Valley path. You'll pass cows in the pasture, the River Darent (which is really a big stream in places) and about a mile up the road you will see a falconry (or some other big bird place - maybe it was eagles, didn't take notes) off to the right. had I wanted, I could have stopped to watch the show - they have scheduled feeding times - but it was a few hours hence and it was before daylight savings time came into effect and I didn't want to push the walk back anymore than I had to.<BR><BR>Further up you will see some some great Roman ruins. there was a village here, and they did a superb job of excavating it. There is a wonderful floor mosaic you should see there....<BR><BR>keep following the path, you'll go through some bit of woods & pass some fields as well (which are also marked off as trails, I stopped in the visitor center to get some little maps for another day). <BR><BR>You'll pass a 'castle' which I think was really just a big manor house - inside the grounds is a lovely little chapel. This manor house is now, from what I understand, rented out as large flats in certain parts although the original family still lives there (descendants, that is). I understand it's tres cher (of course) and rather exclusive - I doubt there are more than a few 'flats' rented out, but how interesting to think that their 'gated community' is really an old manor house...<BR><BR>cont'd

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:10 AM
beth anderson

keep right on walking, the trail is clearly marked. You are pretty much following the River (stream) Darent much of the way. You'll cross over some stiles and share your walking path with some sheep (mind the poop on the trails!!)<BR><BR>When you get to Shoreham you'll find a few pubs (and more Ferraris, ha ha). It was a gorgeous day so I sat outside for an hour or so chatting with some locals over a Spitfire (the "Bottle of Britain" - love that ad campaign!)<BR><BR>Otford also has a few little pubs - it's a bit bigger than the other two villages. I didn't dally there, it was coming on to dusk and I decided to head back into London...<BR><BR>and there you have it!!<BR><BR>here are some pictures I found on the web:<BR><BR>note, these are NOT my pictures, but this is a good link to show you a few things you will see along the way...<BR><BR>http://www.econ.washington.edu/user/mgoldbla/london/walk.html<BR><BR>have a great time!<BR><BR>Beth<BR><BR>you know, I might have to put this as a separate post - I think others might actually like this walk and it may not get found if it gets buried here...

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Sheila

See if there's anything here that meets your fancy<BR><BR>http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/default.asp