Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Day and Time for St Peter's Dome Climb

Old Jul 16th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we plan on visiting the Vatican Museums on a Friday evening, does it make sense to try to visit St Peter's Basilica and stand on line for the dome climb that afternoon? What time do they cut off the line to climb up before closing? How much time does it take to climb up and back down assuming taking the elevator part way?

Or is it better to visit St Peter's early in the morning on a Saturday and do the dome climb at that time before the crowds arrive? I read on a previous post though that pictures are better taken in the afternoon without the sun facing you for the best city view.

Which day would you prefer?
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Once on the elevator, an hour to climb, view, and descend. All depends on the line.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks 2idocs.

What about which day would be preferable and whether early morning or late afternoon?
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 03:54 PM

I would not go separately to climb the dome.
You'll have to stand in a long queue and go thru security to get into St Peter's Basilica to get to the dome entry point, and then a line and security again for the Vatican Museum.

I'm not an expert, but think Tues, Wed, Thurs are smaller crowds.

Do you already have an advance ticket for the Vatican Museum?
If yes, be sure to climb the dome immediately after exiting the Sistine Chapel (last stop of the Vatican Museum tour), and after you climb the dome, you'll exit right into the basilica.

I have a similar thread here that gives some detail, but feel free to ask more specifics.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

We plan on visiting the museums during available evening hours so the Basilica will be closed. We would need to visit the Basilica separately. Either afternoon on that Friday but was wondering how bad the lines would be then or Saturday morning just for the Basilica and dome climb. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 05:24 AM

In that case, I'd go EARLY on Saturday unless you're staying far from the Vatican. Shorter queue for the basilica early.
The queue for the dome climb is seldom that long.
A couple hints:
-On the way up, spend some time on the inner "balcony." Great view of the paintings of the dome and fun to look down into the basilica. It's tougher to do this on the way down.
-On the way down, plan to stop for coffee/wine @ the rooftop shop. You will be behind the statues that line the roof (right above the papal balcony). Nice gift shop there as well. Can walk down or catch the elevator from there.