Best currency rates?

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Tina

Best currency rates?

I'm hoping to travel to Europe in a few weeks - last minute trip. Since I'll likely be traveling solo, I need to find a country with a good currency rate (against my US $), since I'll be picking up the entire hotel tab. Any suggestions?

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Rex

Consider Portugal.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:21 AM
xxx

Portugal is ok, but not my favorite country to visit. While still not 1 for 1, the British pound is at one of it's best rates for Americans in years.

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Bob

Picking a place to go by the currency rate is really not productive. Pick a place that you want to go and go there. If you have to go without eating much one day...do it and you will probably equalize the rate you wanted to save. You can probably go to Afghanistan real cheap right now......but why? Pick a spot you want and go....enjoy.

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Christina

I think you may be really wanting to know where things are cheap rather than the exchange rate, as there is no Eur country I know of where the rate is bad. The US dollar is rated very well now against all European currencies that I know of, I don't think you are going to find a lot of variation, not enough to notice, anyway. It's good against the Euro and British pound, perhaps not unusually high against Czech koruna (one I know) as it's about 37CK to dollar, but that's not bad, either (I think I got 40CK last year some time), and things are cheap there. So, you need to consider prices and value rather than the specific exchange rate, as things are very expensive in Britain even if their exchange rate is particular good in comparison to USD.

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Karen

Croatia has some incredible beach resorts, and they're obviously cheap. And you can even take the ferry across to Venice for the day.