Best credit card for miles / points??

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:06 AM
RW
Original Poster

Best credit card for miles / points??

I will be giving up my AMEX corporate card in a week and am debating whether to buy a personal AMEX card and keep membership rewards ($120/year) or to transfer my points to an airline, and get another card that gives me points for that airline exclusively.

All of these seem to have an annual fee; I'm looking for recommendations / advice on particular credit cards that give miles, yet low annual fee. Better yet if a credit card can transfer to multiple airlines. Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:12 AM

The advantage of the Amex card is that you can transfer miles to several airlines, hotels, etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 09:08 AM

I switched from regular Amex to a Delta Skymiles Amex. They give good bonus points, double miles on many categories, and I have gained enough Delta miles to buy 2 RT business class tickets for my May trip to Europe. Unless you fly Delta, this wouldn't be good, but I live in Atlanta, so I rarely fly other airlines.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:40 AM

RW,

You might want to check out Capitol One Visa or Master Card. The miles are good on any airline. The fee is $17.00/year.

I always fly American Airlines and am an Advantage member. I charge my tickets on Capitol One and earn miles there, plus I earn miles on my AA Advantage account.

The miles on Capitol One can also be redeemed for cash.

Curious
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:34 AM

I like AMEX for the flexibility and with the Platinum card if you buy one business class ticket you get another free. Sure, the annual fee is $300 but we fly business class at least once a year so I'll gladly pay them $300 for giving me a ticket worth $6000.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:17 PM

If you live near a Costco, I believe they have an AMEX card with miles and there is no fee at all for the first year for Costco members.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:22 PM

I also endorse Capital One. Where I live, Northwest Airlines is the only game in town. I charge my regular tickets on my Capital One MasterCard while at the same time earning WorldPerks miles on NWA. Eventually I get to choose either a free trip using WorldPerks miles or a free trip using Capital One miles. Not a bad choice to have. <g>
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:27 PM

I LIVE with my AX card and membership miles- I only use the GREEN card so the cost for membership miles is only $35....
Well worth it for the flexibility of using DIFFERENT airlines...

If you use the AX SKYMILES card, that is tied in exclusively with DELTA- which for me is only partially ok as we have limited Delta service..PLUS Delta is the hardest airline to pre-book your frequent flyer miles with==need to book 1 year in advance in order to get a seat on their planes...

I also keep a VISA that is tied in with USAIR as that is our major carrier where I live...

I USE the credit cards for EVERYTHING- gas,drugstore,groceries,stamps,drycleaning--every little thing I can charge...I even tried to charge my car on it but the dealership would only allow me to charge $2000 on the card!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:29 PM
RW
Original Poster

Curious:

Capital One seems like a great option. My question: can miles / points earned on Capital One transfer to your AA Advantage account, or do you need to keep them separate. So, if I have 10,000 miles on AA, and 15,000 on Capital One, can I transfer Capital One to AA for a free domestic US flight??

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:09 PM

You *cannot* either transfer or combine miles. Also, when I use Capital One miles to "buy" a ticket on NWA, I cannot earn any WorldPerks miles on those flights. The ticket issued has a special classification. Another point: Round trip flights using Capital One miles must be into and then out of the same airport. In contrast, when using WorldPerks miles, I can fly open jaw if I wish. (I presume you have the same flexibility with your AA Advantage miles.) However, it only takes 18,000 Capital One miles to get a free ticket if I fly within the same zone and 25,000 miles if I fly into any other zones in the US. There are no seat restrictions and no blackout dates. Tickets must be "bought" three weeks in advance and there is the usual Saturday night stay requirement.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:10 PM

We use a no annual fee card---Travel Extras Titanium Mastercard. We can use any airline. There are no blackout periods. It can also be used for hotels and rental cars. I find my flights online and they make the reservations. It is too good to be true, since we pay it off every month!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:16 PM

RW you should check what airline you most fly with.. then from there do more reaserch ...

www.webflyer.com
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:18 PM
RW
Original Poster

Well, I have points scattered through 7-8 airlines. Basically, I was wondering if there was a card that offered the flexibility of the AMEX (able to transfer points to one of multiple airlines) without the $120/year cost.

The replies have been great so far, thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:53 PM

I have a MBNA Mastercard that allows me to accumulate unlimited points and then get tickets on any airline with no blackout dates. When you call on the phone for tickets, they act as a travel agent would and then mail you the tickets. My flight next week from SFO to CDG will cost $13 for the two of us, plus an $80 upgrade for a direct flight. The friend who put me on to this charges $20,000 per month and this summer is flying his Italian relatives over first class!
[email protected]
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM
gb

The Hilton Honors Am Ex card has no fee and you collect points for flights or hotels. Plus you can send points to United to be exchanged for miles.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Lindam - I'm intrigued by your card. Can you answer some questions?

1) how many $$ do you have to charge to get a trip to US, Europe, Caribbena and/or Mexico?
2) Is there a limit on the value of the ticket?
3) How many cards do you get per account (1, 2, 3?)
4) Have you booked a trip yet? How was your experience?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:19 AM
MGB

To TimS - We use CapitalOne miles to buy NW tickets in Detroit and we get miles, just got 8,400 that way flying to Hawaii. It might be that the special designation you mention will not allow you to get a voucher if the ticket price goes down. We ran into that, we got the voucher on our one dirct purchased ticket but not on the Capital one. Our friends used Chase miles and they were able to get vouchers.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:59 AM

I personally love my AmEx Starwood card. It gives me the flexability of using the points towards various Starwood Hotels (Westin, Sheraton, 4 Points etc.) or to ANY airline. The conversion for airline miles is 1 = 1 which is MUCH better than the AmEx Rewards Program. Also, I love this because if you transfer 20,000 points to any airline, you receive a 5,000 point bonus so effectively you get a domestic round trip (25,000 miles) for only 20,000 points which makes it even better than the 1=1 coversion. Sometimes I use it for hotels, sometimes for various airlines....it's my call. Until needed, the points just sit there and never expire. This card has now replaced my AA Citibank card and my Gold AmEx.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:00 AM

I forgot to mention, this card is FREE for the first year and $30. per year thereafter.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:36 AM
RW
Original Poster

We may have a winner...traveler33, sounds like the ideal card.

By the way, the conversion for AMEX rewards to airline is also 1-1. Can't beat the bonus 5,000 though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO