Best Cognac (alcohol) from France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2023, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will not be visiting the Cognac region while in France next week but if I can I would like to get an excellent XO quality cognac to bring home to family who love it.

Ideally I would like to buy something that is not exported to Australia (ie something we can’t buy at home).

The closest we will get to the Cognac region is Bordeaux before we go on to Toulouse, Avignon, Lyon and Paris.

Can anyone recommend a cognac brand that fits the brief and is available to purchase outside of Cognac? Bonus points if you can point me to a cognac specialty store.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 02:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a spirits drinker but you might also like to think about Armagnac as a similar product with a slightly less international feel to it.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Not a spirits drinker but you might also like to think about Armagnac as a similar product with a slightly less international feel to it.
I’m in the same boat as you but the people I’m buying for are uber cognac lovers! I just read that most cognac is exported so I may just have to focus on what is not available in Australia rather than what is not exported, period.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 03:04 AM

Start with these guys
https://www.cognac-only.com/en/ they have shops in Bordeaux and La Rochelle
but frankly if you want stuff that isn't exported then you need to go to the small producers and they exist only in Cognac not in Bordeaux
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 04:26 AM

Apparently 95% (some say 98%) of Cognac is exported, so France may not be the best place to buy it.
https://vinepair.com/articles/95-per...gnac-exported/
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Cognac being one of the most exported items (as noted above), the airport always has a tremendous selection of fine cognacs at duty free.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Courvoisier, Hennessey, Martell, Remy Martin are all top brands which are very reliable and there are different ages and types at different price points. It would be worth looking at how much these would cost at home to be able to judge whether what you are buying might please those you are buying for. OTOH a rare Armagnac might well be a better choice as they might not be so used to it, but are still very likely to enjoy it.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 08:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I went to tastings at Camus, Otard, Remy Martin, and Hennessy while I was in Cognac.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 11:08 PM

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/cultu...rmagnac-guide/

might be worth a read

This the sales outlet of http://maisonrystdupeyron.com/en/index.php a family that has developed Bordeaux wine shipping interests along with Armagnac production (about 2 hours away down a motorway) who you could at least have a chat with. The store is in the centre of Bordeaux and it would be absurd to find that they didn't speak perfect English.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jun 11th, 2023 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 09:01 AM

I have been to Cognac (with friend in the wine business; we stayed at the chateau of Remy Martin).

I would heed Kerouac's advice...do some reading and buy at the airport duty free. Any major airport in France will have an excellent selection up to the very, very high end. Many Asian (and American) travelers do their buying at these shops. Before the airport, take a look at a large wine shop in any city, and ask some questions if you like. Then you will have more knowledge of what to buy when you leave the EU. And yes, do some looking around in your home country to check prices to you have an idea.....some of the super-upscale Cognacs (in the Baccarat bottles, run over $1,000USD.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 02:10 PM

Oddly enough you will find a lot of French cognac in ... Hong Kong! It's a prestige drink there and you will find varieties that are not so readily available in Australia. I bought my father a bottle of Otard a number of years ago now from a neighbourhood shop that stocked alcohol. At that time I did not know the brand and I thought he might get a kick out of it (he did). I have no idea what I paid for it, just know that if you miss the boat in France, if you are flying through HK you might have a second chance! 😉

Lavandula

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 10:54 PM
mjs

Consider vintage Armangnac
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 02:27 AM

I love the Armagnac idea. I like it better than any Cognac I’ve had, but that’s obviously personal preference. It’s not that easy to find in the US, not sure about Australia.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by YankyGal
I love the Armagnac idea. I like it better than any Cognac I’ve had, but that’s obviously personal preference. It’s not that easy to find in the US, not sure about Australia.

Have a great trip!

Lavandula has a good idea; I believe this is true, or was true in the past, but Chinese/HK are the largest cognac consumers outside France. So if you flight stops at one of the large Asian airports, you might buy some there, although I get it that is is more fun to buy in France. What is your departure airport from France?
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 09:48 AM

The duty free shops at the airport will have all the usual suspects,. IIUC, that's not what you are looking for. As suggested by bilboburgler , since you will be in Bordeaux, Cognac Only should have many bottles normally unavailable in Australia.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 10:03 AM

The United States is the country that buys the most cognac. Unfortunately, that country loves racial statistics, and it seems that most cognac is bought by black Americans, However, more white people (whatever they are) are now buying cognac, too. I guess that other racial categories are of no interest.
China is the country that buys the most cognac in value. Unfortunately, in Asia people tend to display their bottles in showcases instead of drinking it. The bottles are brought out only if there is a visit by a higher ranking guest.

Of course, even in France, if you buy a bottle of super expensive cognac, you generally stash it away and never touch it.

People are weird.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
The United States is the country that buys the most cognac. Unfortunately, that country loves racial statistics, and it seems that most cognac is bought by black Americans, However, more white people (whatever they are) are now buying cognac, too. I guess that other racial categories are of no interest.
China is the country that buys the most cognac in value. Unfortunately, in Asia people tend to display their bottles in showcases instead of drinking it. The bottles are brought out only if there is a visit by a higher ranking guest.

Of course, even in France, if you buy a bottle of super expensive cognac, you generally stash it away and never touch it.

People are weird.
I understand in China / HK cognac is a big deal at weddings - served in large measures also, not like the nip it is traditionally served in.

Lavandula
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 06:52 PM

I've been to restaurants in Hong Kong where people (men) were swilling cognac like it was water. Then again, they were mixing it with water.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 06:56 PM

ditch the cognac and the french and get some Irish whisky - Middleton to be specific
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 07:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuspie
ditch the cognac and the french and get some Irish whisky - Middleton to be specific

Ahem . . . Middleton is whiskey (as are all Irish brands) . . . it's Scotland that produces sans e whisky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -