Best city for 4 days in Normandy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the Normandy area and are looking for help in selecting a city for our base. Some on this Forum say Honfleur, others Caen, some Bayeux. Our main objective is the D Day. Tours of beaches, museums, monuments, cemetaries, etc. We (4 of us) will have a car and hope to find nice accommodations for around 100 to 130 Euros. Many thanks, Jerry
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM

The Bayeux area would work best for what you want to see--it's easy driving distance to the D-Day beaches, to Honfleur and Caen, and other places of interest.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Doble_Vergasser

For D-Day sights Bayeaux is probably your best bet. We stayed at B&B Les Ramparts (run by Crystal and her husband). We had a nice two room for about Euro 100.
For a day trip you can easily drive to Honfluer and on the return drive thru Deauville and Troville. I recommend that you spend some time in Arromanches and its museum and movie (it is more important to D-Day than most people know).

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM

I'll also recommend Bayeux. Great little town that was spared the bombing and has the amazing tapestry, plus it's only a half-hour to Caen and the incredible Mémorial Museum there, and from there on to the D-Day beaches, Arromanches, Pointe du Hoc, etc.

We loved our stay at the Château de la Bellefontaine in Bayeux, but there's quite a good selection of hotels in general.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I would opt for Bayeux or any of the other small towns.
I stayed in Courselles-sur-mer(about 15 km from Caen) this summer while doing what your are going to do. It was a good spot to travel around from.The roads are great.