Reload this Page >

Best channel crossing ?

Search

Best channel crossing ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 06:48 AM
Charlie

Best channel crossing ?

Some friends and I are taking our first trip to Europe in a couple of weeks and are starting in London. We have the option of crossing the channel by either Hovercraft or Sea Cat , other than the fact that one crosses a little faster than the other are there any other differences? We're going from Dover to Calais and looking for a fun crossing.

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 06:02 PM
marcie

Personally, memories of several rough and unpleasant crossings would steer me towards whichever is fastest. Others tell me that they have enjoyed more pleasant crossings and I hope that you do too! bon voyage.

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 05:50 AM
Sherrie Miller

Charlie: We crossed in the Sea Cat. I use to get sea-sick on the water but I didn't get it on the Sea Cat. I don't know why, because the water was rough and the Cat had a lot of movement on it. My husband stayed on the lower seating and when I was down there, there was less movement than on the upper deck. However, it was more fun on the outside deck. You had to hold on to walk, as it was very choppy, but the wind and the movement of the water behind the CAT made it exciting. I saw the Hover Craft on the water behind us and then passed us. But it rides on air apparently and there was very little water movement behind the craft. If you enjoy the deck experience and watching the water, take the CAT. If you are just there to get across as quick as you can, take the Hover Craft. Personally, if I had to do it again, I'd take the Chunnel. You can get from London to Paris is 3-1/2 hrs. by Chunnel. Have you thought of that way to travel? <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 02:22 PM
Joe

We did just what you are probably thinking; trying as many options as possible. We tried the Hovercraft. Leaving from Charing Cross we took a local train to Dover Priory Station. Most trains go to Dover to the ferry. Walking from the station downhill to the Hovercraft was less than a mile, with a stop at a pub for lunch. Not much else to see except for the castle on the hillside. The hovercraft is mostly used by people in vehicles(I assume you are not driving), so if you walk up you are in a great minority, but who cares. But then the shock, the price. After negotiation we paid 18 pounds each. This is quite high compared to the ferry. Don't know what the SeaCat runs. When you reach Calais, you are over a mile from anywhere, and must take a bus to Paris or to Calais, where other transportation is available. Now if you had the time, the principal reason for the Hovercraft is to buy duty free booze. You must go round-trip which doesn't take long because of the 60mph+ speed and the craft turns around almost immediately. The cost RT is minimal, ~8pounds? Again if you have the time, do the RT, buy some stuff, taxi to the SeaCat terminal, and you're off to Calais. The Hovercraft is much like a jet, not much view because of the spray. We could barely see the white cliffs on departure. But for speed and smoothness it is the way to go. When you have tried the SeaCat and the Hovercraft, take the Eurostar for ever after. <BR>Yak, yak, email me if you have further ?

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 02:49 PM
Ben Haines

<BR> <BR>You are right to choose the sea trip, more interesting than the tunnel, and cheaper. <BR> <BR>I'd say miss both hovercraft and catamaran. For just sixty minutes more you can take the boat, with good meals (especially on SeaFrance) and satibilisers that stop the bounciness of the faster vessels. <BR> <BR>Somebody rightly comments on cost. Either, buy at Charing Cross station, right hand-most window, a single ticket London, boat, Paris. Or, get to Dover or Folkestone in time to say you're on a day return trip across the Channel, which is cheaper than a single trip. There are free busses between station and port at both sides of the Channel. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 03:45 AM
charlie

Marcie , Sherrie , Joe & Ben thanks to all for the info !

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 06:52 PM
Frank

If time is not important, by all means take Seafrance ferry: It will give you a taste of a mini-cruise. You can see almost nothing on the hovercraft. Having done it once by ferry, I would in the future use the Chunnel. <BR>