Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Cappucino in Paris? Best place to sit and watch the world pass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Eric

We are looking forward to a very relaxing vacation in Paris. We have been once before and seen most of the "big" sites, and we just want this time to be relaxing. Any suggestions?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Laura

I hate to say it but my experience with Cappucino in France is terrible. You can sit and people-watch at just about any corner bar, but if you ask for cappucino - you will simply get a cup of coffee with canned whipped cream on top! YUK!<BR><BR>Laura

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Try

Capuccinos are just a fig leaf for countries who do not know how to make real coffee(and the likes of Starbucks, Aroma, etc. ). You'll be in Paris, just drink their "normal" coffee, and that'll be it

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:34 AM
belinda

I had good cappuccinos at Pre Aux Clercs on the corner of Rue Jacob and Rue Bonaparte in the St Germain area. Probably not the best spot for people watching but certainly not bad. Good luck.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Maribel

Eric,<BR>If you're staying on the Left Bank-<BR><BR>When we stay on the Rue Jacob in the 6eme, we try to spend time several mornings at an outdoor table at the Cafe Bonaparte, right below the Eglise St Germain to watch the world go by. They serve good "cafe creme"-I think what you're looking for-think a "latte"-and great o.j., croissants. It's less exp. than the famous Deux Magots and Cafe Flore but from there you can observe the neighborhood scene on and around Blvd. St. Germain almost as well, and there seem to be more local patrons at the Bonaparte.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:38 AM
BTilke

My favorite spot for a morning cappucino or cafe creme is Scossa on the Place Victor Hugo in the 16th arrond. On a sunny day, it's a pleasant place to watch the fountains and the passing parade of Parisians and well heeled expats (but few tourists). Most people at Scossa seem to be in a good mood and will say hello and even chat a bit. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)<BR>P.S. To avoid the whipped cream cappuccino, ask for a cappucino "mousse au lait" and you will get the normal variety.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Christina

I wouldn't order a cappuccino in Paris, I'd go with some French coffee drink, probably a cafe creme. There are a few good Italian restaurants in Paris, but I don't know of an Italian cafe (unlike London where there are quite a few), although there seem to be more Italians around the Champs-Elysees and the Garnier Opera area, maybe cafes around there would have that on their list.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Melissa

Cafe creme is fantastic. Makes you realize that American's really don't know how to make coffee. Remember if you order just a "cafe" what you are going to get is straight espresso. You should be able to get a great cafe anywhere. Thats the beauty of Paris. Just find a nice cafe with tables outside on a bustling street and you're all set for people-watching. I'd avoid the famous cafes on Montparnasse and St-Germain because they are overpriced and the coffee is the same as anywhere else. Unless you just really want to sit in a cafe where Hemmingway and his gang used to hang out.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:44 AM
FIT

&gt;you will get a cup of coffee with canned whipped cream on top! <BR><BR>Is it true some cafes serve cappuccino with whipped cream? I thought cappucino is always prepared with milk mousse.<BR>Do I have to ask for cappucino "mousse au lait"to get a real one? Cafe with whipped cream seems like Vienna coffee.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:53 PM
bumper

I also recommend you try cafe creme. Take a seat out in front of the Cafe Beaubourg and watch all the world parade by.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:26 PM
BTilke

Here in Brussels, it's routine to get a cappucino with whipped cream (sometimes sweetened, sometimes not). Some places give you a whole bowl of whipped cream with chocolate shavings, others just a modest dab of whipped cream. Some places only do the mousse au lait style and others give you a choice. I don't know offhand of anyplace that calls it Viennese. The practice is less common in Paris; cappucino is not as popular a drink. Also in Brussels, it's quite common to see people drinking cappucinos in the late afternoon. The "cappucinos are for mornings only" mindset is not prevalent.<BR>Other variations: in Vienna (or most places in Austria) you get a small glass of water with your cappucino. In Brussels, you almost always get a piece of chocolate (Godiva, Neuhaus, etc.) or a cookie of some kind or both, but nobody brings you water unless you order mineral water (and pay for it). When you order a beer, wine, cocktail, or sparkling water, etc., you usually get a small bowl of nuts or nuts/raisins or pretzels. Sometimes a small helping of cheese cubes. "Portion mixte" is a popular snack, usually sliced sausage type meat, cheese cubes, little pearl onions. Celery salt (not plain salt) normally comes with it. <BR>In Paris, however, I don't recall anybody offering little snacks with drinks, coffee or otherwise, except in some of the hotel bars where they keep small bowls of nuts on the table.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 02:59 PM
scarlett

Hi Eric,<BR>On of my favorite ways to enjoy Paris without movingis to sit in a cafe and people watch..<BR>we always stay on the rue Jacob also-our fav is Cafe Deux Magots.Best view of the Blvd St Germain and you can sit for hours with one coffee so price wouldn't really be an issue.<BR>Cafe Marly-at the Louvre, sit outside, facing the Pyramid, watch the kids on roller skates, tourists, all the people taking each others photographs.Also pricey, but again, I can sit with a coffee and piece of cake for a while!<BR>Have a wonderful time~<BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:15 PM
nancy

I enjoyed cappucino at the Cafe du Marche on rue Cler in the 7th. Great place to people watch as there are so many markets/shops along the street.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:44 PM
sandra

Cappucino quality aside, as i drink tea, these are fun places to people watch for me:<BR><BR>Cafe Carousel on rue rivoli across from the loure and Hotel regina<BR><BR>Cafe Jade on Rue Buci, especially at night<BR><BR>Any cafe on Blvd St Germain<BR><BR>Any outdoor cafe in Momartre <BR><BR>Anf my favorite is a little cafe in the flea market at cliqoncourt where there is a woman who looks like and sounds like Edith Piaf

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Donna

Most similar to cappuccino is "cafe creme" or "grand creme" (larger). It is awesome! Among my favorite places for watching the passing parade are Chez Francis (right across from the Princess Diana memorial) with the Tour Eiffel in view, any cafe on Place de l'Ecole Militaire, Deux Magots.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:22 PM
xxx

I'd opt instead for coffee similar to an espresso. In my opinion, the best capuccinos are available in Italy.