Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best bet from Barcelona--northern Spain or the Languedoc?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip for next month and looking at locations on either side of the Pyrenees because we really don't want just a wilderness mountain vacation. My research (both on this board and with guidebooks) seems to suggest that perhaps France has more to offer than Spain for people who are looking for a mix of interesting areas, non-touristy places, charming small villages, locations where we can hike or bike etc. Would you agree with this assessment, or am I interpreting things incorrectly? Since we'll be flying in and out of Barcelona, I'd hate to skip adjacent areas of Spain while hotfooting it to France. WE also no longer enjoy the move every night or two type of driving trip and prefer to set up in a couple bases for anywhere from 3 to 7 days. What do you think and what were your impressions or comparisons of the areas? Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM

One of the favorite places I have stayed was in the town of Cardona, which is about 45 minutes outside of Barcelona. The name of the hotel was the Paradore de Cardona. It is an amazing hotel. The rooms are very nice and they have a terrific deal for half-board. One place you don't want to miss is Montserrat. It is an absolute must see. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM

The western Pyrénées, the Pyrénées Atlantic and the Pays Basque, would be the most interesting area once you leave the Languedoc region. This area is full of charming small villages and beautiful countryside. Check out Maribel's Guide to the Basque Country for more information on the area.
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM

Hi

just worth pointing out that the Basque country is nowhere near Barcelona ?

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM

Prades might be a good base for you. But best might be to get the Green Michelin for that area.