Reload this Page >

Best Beer in Munich?

Search

Best Beer in Munich?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Beerman

Best Beer in Munich?

What is the best beer in Munich?<BR><BR>Just curious to hear opinions.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Budman

We were there last June. I thought the Augustiner Keller was the best tasting brew. We had a great lunch at their beergarten near the train station.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:13 AM
jw

Could I get an opinion on the best German beers available on U.S. shelves. I like Warsteiner and St. Pauli Girl Special Dark, but then I'm pretty much a peasant, and these are off the shelf of my local Albertson's. So any recommendations?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:37 AM
xxx

St. Pauli Girl is Dutch, not German.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:50 AM
beer

As for general German beer, I like Lowenbrau, which I think is German (or an American made version of the German beer). Used to be available nationally, but I don't find it as frequently. I like Bitberg (or is it Bitburg?).

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:08 AM
CharlieB

My favorite Munich is indeed Augustinerbrau, but my favorite German beer is Kolsch - a distinctive tasting beer served in a tall narrow glass found in Cologne, however, Belgian beer remains my favorite.<BR>St. Pauli is brewed in Bremen, which the last time I looked was in Germany.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:14 AM
jkd

I have yet to have a bad one...But I like Paulaner.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:21 AM
kevin

Spaten

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:16 AM
ttt

Spaten?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:03 AM
greg

A note on beer. St Pauli Girl is made for export only. It is not bound by the Reinheitsgebot (spelling) or the German Purity Law of 1516. (read your becks bottles) <BR>Becks Dark in the US is just Becks with food coloring.<BR>European beer or at least the smaller breweries are so much better than the US beers. They are fresher, have better ingredients and less, if any preservatives. Why do you get a hangover? You are dehydrated. It is not the alcohol that gets you dehydrated, it is all the sugars and salts that they add as heading agents, food for the yeast, and for preservatives (to preserve freshness, what nonsense is that? how can you PRESERVE freshness?) You can drink 5 Piels, Buds, Utica Clubs, Black Labels and get a hangover. You drink 5 homebrews or microbrews or German beers (in Germany) and you will feel fine.<BR><BR>Top beers in my mind: Zywiec (Polish) Shvitaurus (Lithuanian) Any beer found in Munich and Kaisar (Austrian)

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Budman

Greg,<BR><BR>You are absolutely right. That's why I keep telling my wife we need to go back to Munich. I just love that area. Must be from a previous reincarnation.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:34 AM
kevin

Yes, Spaten, from Munich any of there beers are GREAT!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:39 AM
uncle sam

Augustinerbrau hands down and Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen is a close second.<BR><BR>I like Hofbrau, but you have to put up with the Hofbrauhaus to drink it!<BR><BR>Augustinerbrau beer hall near the Hauptbahnhof is the best place to drink beer in Munich followed by the Seehaus and the Chineses pagoda in the Englisher Gartens!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Bob

I have never had a bad German beer. It took me two years to be able to drink American brews after I was stationed in Germany in the Army. I still do not drink many unless that is all there is.<BR><BR>One of the most enjoyable beers I had on trips to Germany is ANDECHS. It is made outside of Munich in Andechs by monks. If in Germany, it is worth a trip.<BR><BR>Other good ones from the area are SPATEN, DINKELACKER (Stuttgart area) and LOWENBRAU.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Bob

I have never had a bad German beer. It took me two years to be able to drink American brews after I was stationed in Germany in the Army. I still do not drink many unless that is all there is.<BR><BR>One of the most enjoyable beers I had on trips to Germany is ANDECHS. It is made outside of Munich in Andechs by monks. If in Germany, it is worth a trip.<BR><BR>Other good ones from the area are SPATEN, DINKELACKER (Stuttgart area) and LOWENBRAU. All can be purchased in the US, but taste a little different because of preservatives.<BR><BR>A great US brew made in San Francisco is ANCHOR STEAM. If you enjoy a rich dark brew, you will enjoy this one.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 02:28 PM
CharlieB

After many trips to Europe &amp; Germany, I have slowly developed a taste for &quot;hefe weissen&quot; and it is now my favorite whenever I return. While in Berlin I also enjoy a &quot;weissen mit rote schuss&quot; as an afternoon thirst quencher at a sidewalk cafe. It is wheat beer with a small shot of raspberry syrup - you can also get it with &quot;grune schuss&quot; where woodruff is the flavoring. The same woodsy flavoring that makes maywine so appealing. Prosit!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 06:05 PM
Bier

I like Schwartz Bier.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM
jjj

Augustiner Oktoberfest

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Shanna

In Deidesheim, I had Bellheimer - simply divine, but Augustiner in Munich is also wonderful.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:58 PM
OhMy

I like them all, but my favorite is Paulaner Salvator!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -