Search

Best beaches/sun/ swimming it Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best beaches/sun/ swimming it Italy

Hello Everyone,
After touring Venice and Florence for 3-4 days each, my new wife and I want to spend some time at the coast(4-5days) to wind down in the sun and sea.

Recommendations? Differences between Santa Margherita Ligure, Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast? Our Lodging budget is $150US a day. Oh yeah, we''ll be there 9/28-10/12.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I'd go for Hotel Villa Steno in Monterosso (Cinque Terre). We stayed there 3 nights on our honeymoon this past June and had a great time!! The beaches in Monterosso are nice - sandy, as opposed to pebble beaches. If you pay cash and show or mention the Rick Steves book it is 125E per night. Look up "Hotel Villa Steno" on this board to see my rave review and other comments too. The hotel is great!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:08 PM

In direct reply to your "best beaches/sun/swimming" topic, the title would go to 'Il Terrenia' located between Pisa and Livorno. You could stay in the CT and go down there for the day, or if you are in Pisa, you might want to take a train or local bus out there. It is the only flat beach with miles of sand all around (similar to southern CA beaches) that I have seen in Italy to this date! Very neat spot, beachside town with cafes, etc.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:10 PM

The south beaches of Sardinia would have the best beaches.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Our family just spent three weeks in the beautiful town of Forte Dei Marmi on the Versilia coast. It is about 20 minutes from Pisa. THe beaches are well groomed and wide. Many of the beach clubs are fabulous. The town itself is very upscale and resort-like. Lots of chic people riding their bikes and sitting in outdoor cafes. Many great shops and overall a real change of pace from the rest of Italy.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM
cmt

I've never been to any really great beaches in Italy, but I've heard (from Italians) that some of the best beaches in mainland Italy are in Calabria.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:55 AM

If you are considering the Amalfi Coast . . . the 'beaches' are a bit South.

My wife and I had a great 'find' on a visit to the Naples area several years ago.

We visited Paestum (for the Greek ruins) and were absolutely amazed at our accidental luck in finding a great place to stay with a private beach (amid the many public beaches). We found it sooo relaxing we extended our stay.

Try the 'Best Western Paestum' - that is not a typo - for a relaxing, inexpensive beach getaway.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:45 AM

First of all, keep in mind that October is an iffy month, weather-wise. It is not really beach / sunning weather. Sure, relaxing and unwinding on the beach is more than valid, but unless you go far south you probably won't find bathing suit weather. The Cinque Terre area is great if you want to combine hiking, wine sipping, fish eating and sea enjoying (travelling by train or foot from town to town). By then it shouldn't be so heavily touristy. If you want a large and expansive beach but maybe not much else, (as the summer season will be over) follow Huitres advice (from that area you could day trip by car to Pisa, Volterra, Porto Santo Stefano, Bolgheri ...
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:08 AM

I agree with the comment on the weather-we were on the Amalfi Coast (Positano) mid-October last year and the weather was awful, but it could be great this year. Just have alternate plans. A note on the AC beaches-they are pebble and rock much like that used in landscaping here in the US-not the most comfortable. Livorno's beach is nice but the town is nothing worth seeing-cheesy beach town with very little character.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM

Swalter: Huh! We were on the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento/Capi around 10/10-10/13/03...and the weather was WONDERFUL...and HOT. OK, ok...I think 80? is hot...but people WERE swimming.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:21 AM

It is an iffy time of the year weather wise--even down around Napoli and the Amalfi coast. It could be 85 during the day, or it could be 65. As swalter suggested, be prepared with alternative plans.