BEST base to explore Bavaria on the way to Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to pick a home base from which to explore Bavaria on the way to Munich and am having some difficulty - every town I have researched looks beautiful. Some requirements: not touristy, good restaurants, not too far from major sites/lakes. Any B&B or inn recommendations would be welcome also. Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM

How would you describe touristy?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Oh, and which major sights/lakes are you interested in?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Where are you coming from. What have you seen before. If I was looking for a little village in a central locaiton it would probably be Oberammergau but that is about as touristy as it gets.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

All of my travels throughout Europe have been in cities so I have never explored the countryside of the various countries, with the exception of Italy. When I say touristy, I think of the comparison of Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast. Both have wonderful scenic beauty, but the Amalfi Coast is commercialized and places like Capri and Sorrento are designed for tourists, whereas Riomaggiore and Vernazza are not (sorry for that digression.) I am looking for a place where I won't find large tour buses and massive herds of tourists wandering around. As for sights that I want to see, I am not really sure since I have just started my research. So if you have any suggestions on the best sights/lakes to see that would be great.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM

If you plan to have a car you can access a lot of scenic areas of the Bavarian alps easily. If you look at a map Fussen to Salzburg it about 80 airmiles. The roads twist a lot so it is not a straight shot but it is not really that far.

In between the two is Ludwig's Herren Chiemsee (not quite between the two), Bertschesgaden with Eagle's Nest and Lake Koenig, Garmish (with the Zugspitze), Mittenwald (the violin makers village) Oberammergau (passion play and wood carving, Ettal Monastary, Schlos Linderhof, Wiese Kirche, Fussen (Hohenschwangau & Neuschwanstein). On top of all that you are only an hour or so from Munich.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Forgot to mention, if you are going in the Summertime Oberammergau will have lots of tour busses during the day.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Can you give me a little bit more info on Mittenwald? How about Rothenburg - is that town now overpopulated with tourists due to Rick Steves' promotion of it?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Bavaria is, well, HUGE. Generally, you'd need a northern base and a southern base to see the main sights and towns. But we really don't know what "it" is for you or how much time you have or when you'll be there, all factors that may result in better advice. You need to provide us with some definite destinations, at least.

The region south of Munich tends to get a lot more tourism, but most towns are not unpleasant because of the tourists. Mittenwald is a precious little village that gets a lot of visitors and survives on tourists, but it isn't really "tacky-touristy" in the way you might expect; it retains enormous charm.

North of Munich, the tourists are fewer except along the "Romantic Road". Rothenburg is truly trampled by tourists - it's a bit of a cross between a living museum and an amusement park, with more cameras per square foot than Disneyland USA, but many other towns and cities - Bamberg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg, Weikersheim, Iphofen, Weissenburg, and Eichstaett among them, retain a more authentic atmosphere and a mostly German identity.

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Rothenburg was the most touristy city in Germany long before Rick Steves entered the travel business. It was touristy when I first visited it with my parents over 40 years ago. It was a conscious make-over of the old townn to stimulate tourism in the area.

Other Bavarian towns and cities also get tourists (like the afore-mentioned Wuerzbug and one of our favorites, Bamberg) but were not restructured just for the tourist trade like Rothenburg's old town was.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Oh, and it is interesting that Rick Steves is becoming so demonized among the "too cool travel crowd" that he is now taking the blame for things that happened before he was born.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Most touristy towns, even Rothenburg, become quite pleasant when the tour buses leave.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

I actually really like Rick Steves and have used his suggestions a number of times, but from what I saw on his DVD of Germany, Rothenberg looked like it was filled with tour groups.

As for more details, we will be traveling to Germany in June, by way of France. I want to spend three or four days seeing the local towns before heading to Munich for a bit more sightseeing before heading home. I have also been to Munich before, but none of the rest of my family has.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Kateny17
Just reading your thread and immediately thought of Konstanz and the nearby Mainau Island; do check out on Google although I appreciate it may be a little too far from Bavaria. I don't think you would regret time spent there. Perhaps other posters could add a little more on the area generally. Cheeeers ... Jay
ps-there seemed to be plenty of accommodation at Konstance!!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:47 AM

We spent two weeks in Germany in May and split the time between Rothenburg, Fussen, and the Berchtesgaden area (Schonau). As mentioned above, Bavaria is huge and you would need to choose which area you prefer to stay in.

I loved Schonau. It was close to many "cute" towns such as Berchtesgaden, Ramsau, Bad Reichenhall, etc. The boat ride on the Konigssee was amazing, as were the views from Mt. Jenner and the Eagle's Nest, and the scenery in the area just incredible. We were about 20 minutes by car from Salzburg, and less than two hours from Munich. The area didn't seem to be very touristy, and the tourists we did see seemed to be mostly European. Berchtesgaden would probably have more tourists but most seem to daytrip from Salzburg and not stay in the area.

http://www.berchtesgadener-land.info...1A71EAC9BC5CAF

Fussen and Rothenburg are both touristy, but with good reason. I wouldn't skip either one because of it, but if non-touristy is what you are after you may want to look into some of the towns in the Berchtesgadenland region.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Its scenic beauty makes Bavaria a tourist mecca. However, eastern Bavaria is much less touristed, in our opinion. The area around Burhausen (longest castle in Europe, I believe) is quite attractive and nary a tour bus in sight.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM

BTilke, good suggestion! We went to Burghausen on our trip in May. The castle was neat, and we enjoyed the surrounding area. And your right...definitely no tour buses around. We hardly saw anyone touring the castle at all.

Tracy
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Tracy - thanks for the great Berchtesgaden site! It is very helpful
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 07:33 AM

No problem! I didn't see until now that you also requestioned info on places to stay. As mentioned above, we stayed in a small apartment in Schonau. It is a small village in the valley, about 2 km from the Konigssee. The town is filled mostly locals with not an American tourist in sight. We spent our evenings walking around the "town" and each morning we walked to the bakery for chocolate croissants (heavenly!) and the ATM in the bank.

The owner of the apartment was an older woman who was so sweet. She didn't speak a word of English but that was half the fun! She hung fresh rolls on our door each morning, and she waved us off after our stay. The apartment was very tidy and clean, and we had a big balcony with a gorgeous view. The apartment can be rented by the night. If you are interested, here is the website: http://www.hinterbrandner.de/.
We used babelfish to translate it and to send e-mails back and forth.

Here are some pics from our trip and our apartment:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...&ownerid=0

Bavaria is just splendid. You will be happy wherever you choose to base yourself!

Tracy
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I forgot to mention that the apartment was 43 euro a night. It included a small but fully-equipped kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom and a large balcony.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -