Best and worst of Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm going to Scotland for the first time for two weeks with my wife in early June. We'll be just driving and checking things out, with little planned in advance. I would, however, like to solicit opinions of the top things to see and do (and the places to stay away from), in your opinions. Maybe a 'top 10 (or 5 or whatever) best' and 'top 10 worst' list!

Thank you *very* much.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Best: 1.Edinburgh
2. Driving through the Highlands

Worst: Eating Haggis? (You've got to try it once, but once is enough,IMO)
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM

My personal Best of Scotland (oh how I want to go back!):

Edinburgh - In addition to the main interesting sites like the Castle, Holyroodhouse, Royal Mile, Princes Streets, museums etc., I could also very happily spend days-weeks-months just wandering around seeing what's around that corner, through that alley or up that hill.

Stirling - another historic and picturesque area. If you saw Braveheart, this is where it really happened.

Loch Ness - monster or no monster, it's a beautiful place.

Dunfermline, Linlithgow, Loch Lomond are all lovely and historic.

Men in Kilts!

Bagpipe music!

Whiskey!

Friendly fun loving people.

Haggis - like Marcy said you should try it once just so you can say you did - it tastes like pork sausage actually.

The adundance of places of historic interest where ever you turn.

Did I mention men in kilts?
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:26 AM

St. Andrews is very interesting even if you have no interest in golf, and a must see if you have any interest at all in the sport. Charming village, some cool caves at the cathedral. We particularly liked the village of Crail (not far from St. Andrews). In a country that constantly takes you back in time, this village epitomized that old world feeling for us. Driving around the highlands was great too. I like your plan of having little planned. You pretty much can't go wrong. There's some chick named Shiela who was very helpful for us. She can help you with specifics.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Chick?!

CHICK???!!!!
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
KT

No, Sheila, he didn't mean you. The chick is named Shiela, spelled differently.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I was waiting for Mt. Ritchie to erupt.

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

That "chick" Sheila has been great helping me so far.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Generally speaking:
Best -- Edinburgh, The Highlands, Stirling, Oban

Worst -- Glasgow (don't waste your time on a first trip to Scotland!)

I love haggis myself, but I think many people get scared off it by thinking too much about what it is.

And in Oban, there's a shack on the dock where you can buy fresh seafood ready to eat...I come from the north shore of Boston and have never had such good shrimp (prawns) or salmon in my life.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:24 PM

I have a feeling that Sheila may have been "paging" me through cyberspace! (We met in January, and in Scotland, too!)

First of all, the friendliness of the Scottish people cannot possibly be contained to a mere post. Daft as they may think THIS American is, they are surely the most hospitable folks I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and on a par with the Italians in that respect.

The greater Aberdeen area is lovely, with the rivers Dee and Don running through and about the town. The University campus is delightful. The whole drive from Aberdeen to Skye is fantastic. (And you do drive past Loch Ness, which is so elongated, I erroneously thought I was riding past a large river, til my hostess pointed out that it was Loch Ness!) Skye itself is amazing---altitudes so high they're snow-capped, sheep running alongside the one-lane roads everywhere. Flora McDonald's gravesite and Castle Dunvegan are two of the wonderful sites I enjoyed there.

Just driving about is a treat; one can get a quick view of Balmoral Castle, summer home of the British Royals, but quick is the word--the highway is clearly posted with signs stating that one is NOT permitted to stop---and the police show up fast if you do! The Whiskey Tour has been mentioned a number of times here, but I'd no idea there was also a Castle Tour, and it's fantastic. Most of the castles have formal gardens open to the public, and it's delightful to stroll though.

Abderdeen is also the home of a lot of good art, if you're into it, check out the galleries and museum.

And Scottish men? I'm sure JamesB, you don't care, but let your wife know they are not at all tough on the eyes!

BC
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM

P.S. There is no "worst" of Scotland for a tourist---haggis is it, but I'm assuming you've free will, and won't try it unless you WANT to!
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Had the pleasure of living in Scotland for three years. I agree with most of the other posters, but dsagree with amyb about Glasgow. If you enjoy architecture and Charles Rennie Mackintosh, then go to Glasgow. We enjoyed the museums there, too.

My favorite thing was probably driving in the highlands and listening to Runrig, a celtic-rock band, and other musicians. The views are breathtaking. The Isle of Skye was also a favorite and getting there was part of the fun.

We enjoyed cheese toasties and delicious Scottish soups - yes, June may still be soup weather. The white coffee at our favorite tea room and the yummy breads and pastries. The pub grub is fun and even a visit to the chippie. Try to find some good music at a pub and enjoy.

If the Waverley is still running (Sheila will know?), it's worth a trip.

My two "worsts" were being cold (I grew up in S. Florida) and the midgies. Couldn't do much about either one so ...

Enjoy Scotland - Bon Voyage
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Hi JamesB,

Well, having lived in Edinburgh for all of my many years I am rather biased but Edinburgh would have to be top of my Top 5 list - there is so much to do. Can I do an Edinburgh Top 5 (in no order of preference) first?
1. Wander round the New Town, stopping off at the Georgian House in Charlotte Square - yes, Georgian, that's how old the New Town is!!
2. Old Town including Castle, Royal Mile and Holyrood Palace - don't forget to go down those alleys or closes as we call them.
3. Botanic Gardens and nearby Stockbridge.
4. Art Galleries at foot of the Mound and Belford Rd & museum on Chamber St - there is a free bus that shuttles you back & forth from the art galleries.
5. Leith area - perhaps not much to do during the day but definitely worth a visit at night for the great fish restaurants. The royal yacht Britannia is there but I wasn't too impressed.

Rest of Scotland

1. Glencoe and surrounding area - read up about it first and I'll defy anyone to say they don't feel any atmosphere there.

2. St Andrew's and Fife coastal trail - you can do the trail on the way up to St Andrews from Edinburgh - includes lovely little fishing villages. Go for a "chipper" in Anstruther.

3. Dornoch area - fabulous beaches (but no swimming unless you are completely mad - North Sea is very, very cold)

4. Orkney Islands - bit of a journey to get there but well worth it. Loads of prehistoric archeological sites, scenery very different (no trees, too windy)and a local accent you'll need a translator for!

5. Lastly, just go where your mood takes you and in no time you'll find interesting places and hospitable, friendly people.

And as previous posts have advised, you must try the haggis. I love it even although I don't eat very much meat.

Hope you have a great trip. Am happy to help further, especially with Edinburgh.
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I'm plagiarising Peter Irvine her, but if there were certain things I was limited to doing in Scotland they would be:-

Eat at the Three Chimneys

Climb to the Cuillins Ridge

Spend a sunny day on a West Coast beach-Islay, Tiree, Coll, Berneray, North Uist, Arisaig. Any of them would do. Preferably with a picnic from Valvona and Crolla

Spend the night at One Devonshire Gardens

Watch Scotland beat England at Murrayfield (actually, any sport would do)

Go to the Shetland Folk Festival and listen to Ally Bain play the fiddle, and Karen Mathieson and Sheena Wellington sing.

Visit Kilmartin Glen and stay in the Crinan Hotel

Listen to corncrakes and snipe on the Reef on Tiree

Play golf at Gleneagles.

On the other hand, you'd have to drg me in chains to

The Barras

Any pretentious Edinburgh restaurant

Dundee

the Loch Ness Monster exhibition

The Scottish Game Fair

Motherwell

A pop concert at the SECC

to see the Krankies

the Edinburgh tattoo

any MacDonalds
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Excellent lists from Sheila, especially the "worst of" list! Totally agree.

Sheila's mention of The Three Chimneys made me remember something else. If you don't make it up to Skye for the Three Chimneys then the Peat Inn (near St Andrews) is a must. Not cheap but well worth it. Book an overnight stay in one of their lovely rooms.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:14 PM

As a North American Scot, I do wish my fellow inhabitants would realise that, in the U.K. it is WHISKY. The competitive beverage made in Ireland is whiskey.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:23 PM

A "best" list would literally run to hundreds of places. There is a wonderful guide called Scotland the Best by Peter Irvine which has almost 2500 listings (tho' a few are duplicated because they are the "best" of more than one thing)

I'm on my third edition having totally worn out the first two.

Worst is really a short list -- midges for sure, and not a lot more.

Some of my "bests" are:

-Dinner at the Peat Inn
-Glencoe
-Golf at Royal Dornoch
-The West Highland rail line
-Sitting on a deserted white sand beach on the south side of Mull
-anywhere along the Trotternish Penninsula and Glen Brittle on Skye
-the Orkneys
-Dunnottar Castle
-the harbor in Crail
-Drummond Castle Garden
-St Abb's head
-Inchmahome Island/Priory
-Dryburgh Abbey
-Standing on the walls of Ft George (or on the Black Isle) watching bottle nosed dolphins 30 feet from shore
-Inverewe Gardens / Wester Ross
-Crathes Castle Gardens in June
-Craigevar Castle
-Crarae Gardens
-and castles, castles, castles, castles and more castles.

and a thousand other places . . . .
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Iliked the highlands and love the wild heather. Hated the haggis and the rain but loved the people.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll try to do what he asked.

Top things to see (do) (eat) (drink) (hear) (etc.) - not in order:
1. Fireworks at Edinburgh Castle
2. Drive from Durness to Altnaharra past Ben Hope and Dun Dornadilla
3. Kilmartin
4. Cafe Royal bar after Hibs have won. Or lost.
5. Glasgow School of Art
6. Kirkudbright
7. Walking in the Pentland Hills after a light snow
8. Strolling, rain or shine, through/over Holyrood Park to the Sheep's Heid.
9. Royal Highland Show
10. The Saracen Head (Sarry Heid) near Sheila's detested Barras.

(Okay that's three bars. But it could have been more.)

Things I'd avoid:

1. Ibrox.
2. The Edinburgh city slammer. Once is enough.
3. Pizza at any pub.
4. Any place that claims to have my tartan.
5. Fort William (okay, not up there with Ibrox but I don't much like it.)
6. The A82 on a Sunday evening in summer.
7. Edinburgh wine bars. Any.
8. Dinner with almost any Highland Laird wearing a kilt. (Personal memory, it would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating.)
9. Black pudding cooked in the fish oil.
10. Ibrox. Did I already say that?
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:34 AM

OK, I give up - what or who is Ibrox? Been to Scotland four times and never heard of the thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -