Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best airline for transcontinental flight?

Notices

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Susan

I have enough frequent flyer miles on AMEX to take me to Europe -- and I can transfer to almost any airline - Continental, united, US Air, Virgin. So which is the best airline to take for a transcontinental flight. I will be flying coach.

Any help is appreciated.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
susan

American Airlines has the most spacious seating in coach -- and that's the most important thing!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:29 PM
ggrant

I don't know if you can transfer to American but they removed some seats for extra legroom and it really makes a huge difference. I had flown my last two trips to Maui and Europe on American but just recenttly got back from a Delta and Air France trip. I was miserable all crunched up on Delta. The food is okay and the flight crew is nicer than Delta for sure. I have never flown Virgin. Like British Airways. Still my vote is for American and the extra legroom.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:51 PM
nmm

I think Virgin is the best airline to Europe. Both Amer & foreigh films channels, complimentary footies, breath mints, & toothbrush/paste. Have fun!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Gregory

Hi Susan,

I think that Virgin is the best for flights to Europe ( being pedantic, the correct term for flights US-Europe is intercontinental. Transcontinental is used within a continent-ie NYC-LAX etc).
While the seating pitch is less than American , the food is very good, the seatback tv's have up to 21 channels and Nintendo games and the crew are very good.
Note that Virgin/Continental codeshare on some routes so you may buy a Vrigin ticket and fly on a Continental metal (aircraft) and vv.

Hope this helps

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Dan

I say American too. Most legroom does it for me. Years ago I may have picked another airline, but these days all airlines seem to have the same-indifferent service. Even the once great airlines (SAS.KLM etc.) are no better than the others. Basically, old flight attendants who have lost the zeal for their jobs, but can't be fired because they'll cry age discrimination.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Traveler

Susan, I'm puzzled by your question. Why would you need to transfer? If you have enough AMEX miles to get to Europe, why don't you book a flight from your home city to your destination in Europe? Since you're asking about a transcontinental flight, I'm assuming you're traveling from the West Coast to Europe. You don't need to book these flights separately. Just choose your airline and book from say San Francisco to London or LA to Paris or whatever. Did I misinterpret your question?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Ellen

Traveler, when Susan said "transfer" I think she meant transferring her miles from her AmEx account to an airlines FF account. And I think that her "transcontinental" meant interncontinental.

Being short, I don't have to worry about legroom, so last year I used my AmEx miles on USAir to fly to London. The kids and I thoroughly enjoyed our individual video screens, which have lots of movies and TV shows and music to choose from. They work like a personal VCR -- select, start, stop, even pause or rewind a movie as you wish. All the other airline stuff - service, luggage, food, etc. - was fine.

IIRC, some airlines required 50K miles and others 60K for a US-Europe coach seat.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Susan

Thanks for everyone's replies. Sorry, I did mean intercontinental -- I'll be flying from New Orleans (my home) to Europe.
After posting, i did some more research and it turns out that American is not one of the partner airlines -- however, Virgin is, though I would have to fly to one of their gate cities first at my own expense. Would it be worth it ? My home airport has Continental, Delta, US Air and United that i can use with my miles.
Thanks

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Karen

Another vote for American Airlines. The extra legroom through out coach is GREAT. Other airlines like United have extra leg room but only certain seats which are only for their elite frequent flyers....luckily, American has "stretched" all their coach seats and it is quite nice if you're in coach. Karen (I flew AA found trip to Paris)

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Michael Snowdon

Susan,

Check first, as I don't think you will have to pay to get to there gate. I know someone who just went and Virgin gave them a ticket all the way.

Michael

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:22 AM
xxx

I loved the recommendation for Virgin for the free "footies, breath mints, and toothpaste". I'd suggest you spend $5.00 for those things at your local store before you go and opt for an airline with more legroom -- something you can't get for a couple of dollars locally and take with you. I always thought those silly amenities were a waste of money trying to make up for how uncomfortable a flight can be. I am surprised that anyone is really impressed by them.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:27 AM
nmm

Of course only a noname would jump in with a rude reply. Have you ever traveled Virgin? I've flown all the major airlines to Europe and happen to like them best. They're service is better and they are a more hip airline in general.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:29 AM
nmm

Their

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Seamus

Susan-
If you have enough miles to go for an upgrade, by all means choose Continental. They led industry with their BusinessFirst where they combined first and business classes. They fly 777's which have 48 BusinessFirst seats that are the best I've seen. On top of that, the service is outstanding. No, I don't work for Continental - but I am a demanding but very loyal frequent flyer. In the interst of full disclosure, I detest American Airlines, based on lousy service on multiple occasions and surly agents. And their much heralded extra room is not on all planes!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:07 PM
xxx

Is it called a "hip" airline because your hips hurt after you fly them? Give me more room instead of "hip". I care more about comfort, not what's "hip" to do.

By the way nmm, I guess you're not a "no name"? And to answer your question, yes, I have flown Virgin to London, when I got an unbeatable price. It was not comfortable but it was cheap. Now answer my question, when was the last time you flew American to Europe? Was it since they expanded the seating?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Kay

I use AX FFM and you can't transfer to American. You can't use the Rewards Plus membership for international flights. If you pay $35/yr. for Plus membership, you can transfer to any domestic airline. I use Delta, but have tried to get on Continental - they are very much in demand, as the above poster indicated, because they fly a lot of 777's. If I could get on a 777, that is the airline I would take.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:14 PM
nmm

Actually the last time I flew American was in first class in November(mileage). I travel AA domesticly every 1-2 mos. I'm not a big person so I don't need large seats. I use the name nmm each and every time I post so people know who I am and I don't go picking on strangers either for their opinions. As a matter of fact I'll be flying American & Aer Lingus in 15 days to go to Ireland. IMO Virgin is the best airline. To each his own.