Bernese Oberland Hiking

May 1st, 2001, 05:59 AM
Tom

Bernese Oberland Hiking

We will be arriving in Lauterbrunnen on June 2 and plan on spending 3 or 4 days hiking. What can I expect for early June. Will all the cable car routes be open? Is it to early for the spring flowers to be in bloom? Are there any particular walks you would recommend. We will have a car and are basing ourselves in Lauterbrunnen.

May 1st, 2001, 06:13 AM
dan woodlief

Since you are staying in Lauterbrunnen, you should definitely hike the valley down to the cable car station and ride up to Gimmelwald. There are other walks you can do, once you get up there. We walked up to Murren, which is a very nice town, and then on to Winteregg, where we had to catch a train because of a big thunderstorm that arose. Weather can change fast around there. You can continue farther and take the steep funicular down to Lauterbrunnen. My favorite was Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, an easy downhill walk of about an hour, that provides marvelous views of the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Monch (too bad there were quite a few clouds the day we went) - still a nice walk though with lots of cows and flowers. The walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is a couple of hours or more, fairly easy, and provides nice views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. We chose this route rather than the more spectacular hikes around First due to the cloudy weather. Next time, the First area will be our top priority. And of course, you can ride up to the top of the Jungfraujoch and walk around on the glacier.

May 1st, 2001, 06:37 AM
Ed

Weather should be okay although we've been in snow there on June 10th, and that year the trail from First to Bachalpsee (and others) was closed due to snow until later in the month.

Most if not all the cable routes will be open, certainly the major ones. Allmendhubel, for example, may be an exception. Schynige Platte rackrail should be open unless snow remained very late this year.

The waterfalls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley should be spectacular when you visit so don't miss hiking down the valley toward Stechelberg.

Favorite hikes? Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, First to Bachalpsee and return, First to Schynige Platte (a very full day), Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen, Mürren to Rotstockhütte, the Schynige Platte Panorama Trail ... to name just a few. More details at www.twenj.com/swisswalk.htm

I'm sorry you are basing yourself in Lauterbrunnen and missing the atmosphere and views of a Mürren or Wengen.

May 1st, 2001, 06:39 AM
Ed

Forgot the wildflowers: it will be too early for many, if any.

May 1st, 2001, 08:01 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Tom. I sent my response to you directly because Fodors was having a fit and would not accept what I had to say.
I did not want to lose it.

I have spent 3 summer vacations walking around those mountains and riding the various cable lifts and trains.

If anyone wants to know my experiences, let me know and I will email my description. It gets a little lengthy, but there is so much there to see and do, that it cannot be described in 6 sentences. And even with the time I have spent, there are still places to go and things to see in that region.

May 1st, 2001, 01:10 PM
richard j vicek

Goodafternoon, Tom
On your arrival in Lauterbrunnen, your
hotel should have a copy of
Jungfrau Magazin wich covers a lot of
hikes and their std times. The Jungfraubahnen puts out a brochure with
about 12 hikes calledWandere-Quiz
here are a couple of urls to check out
as quite a few trails lead out from
Grindelwald First.
www.grindelwald.ch/firstbahnen/eframe.htm.
www.jungfrauregion.com/
www.berneroberland.ch/
www.schlithorn,ch/
www.jungfrau.ch/
Each of the above sites may be contacted
for brochures on the various hiking.
Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

May 1st, 2001, 08:03 PM
sheldon

I am jealous. It's incredible--have a great trip!!

May 3rd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Tom

Just a note of thanks to all who replied.

Kindest Regards - Tom

May 6th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Greg

In the past two years or so, I've read this message forum, but never posted.

Anyway, Berner Oberland-Jungfrau talk is a favorite topic of mine.

One of my favorite walks is the walk from Allmendhubel over to Grutscalp. Take the funicular from Murren up to Allmendhubel. You get some tremendous views of the Jungfrau from a trail that is lined with pine forrests. Those pines in the foreground offer great depth to the overall view.

Then you reach an area that is located in an open and sunny area where I saw people eating lunch out of a backpack. The Jungfrau is in clear view. In fact, I stopped and did a little lunch packed in the daypack as well.

Then you reach a little place called Winteregg, which is a stop along the rail system, but has a place that has a restaurant. You can sit out at the outdoor part of the restaurant and do a frosty cold one while the Jungfrau is in view.

There are many great walks in this area, but this one is my favorite. It is not too difficult and offers great views!