Reload this Page >

Berner Oberland Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 10:38 AM
Scott

We will be staying in Interlachen in July. What advice is there on the best transportation pass to buy for my family of four (mom, dad, and kids 12 and 15. We will be staying for three days. Also, any recommendations on great places to stay for the family at $100 or less in the area?

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 01:34 PM
Bob Brown

There is no quick, simplistic answer to your question because you will find that there are a bewildering number of pass available for travel in Switzerland. The pass you buy is a function of what you intend to do. If you can predict accurately, then the question becomes easier to answer.<BR><BR>If you are going to be in the Interlaken area for only 3 days, AND you plan on limited other travel in Switzerland by rail, it is possible to make the BERNER OBERLAND REGIONAL PASS pass pay for itself in 3 days. <BR><BR>This pass is designed specifically for the mountain regions between Bern and Zermatt, with many of the benefits coming from the expensvie rides around Grindelwald, Interlaken, and Lauterbrunnen. The pass comes in two basic versions, 7 days and 15 days. The 7 day pass includes 3 free days of travel within the validity area with some notable exceptions. <BR><BR>The cost of the 7 day pass in euros is 115 for adults and 57 for children up to 16 years of age.<BR> <BR>You can amortize the cost of the pass on your "3 free days" by taking 3 of the most expensive rides in the area. (For example the cost of the ride from Interlaken Ost to Schynige Platte and return is = 37.60 e; trip to First = 48.40 e; Kleine Scheidegg = 46.00 e. The sum of these 3 is 132 e. These trips are included on "free days". That pays for your Regional Pass right there.)<BR>The following site has a list of fares. http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/english/pages/SE/SE_KrTe.htm<BR>You can read more about the pass at this web site: http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/<BR><BR><BR>My favorite trips are these:<BR>1. The Jungfraujoch. The last leg of the trip from Kleine Scheidegg is not free on any day but at best 50% off. <BR>2. Interlaken to the top of the Schilthorn. Again, the last leg of the trip to the top is not free at any time, but it is sold at 50% off with the pass.<BR>3. Schynige Platte from Wilderswil. Wilderwil is the first stop on the line from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald - Lauterbrunnen. <BR>4. The gondola ride from Grindelwald to First and return. <BR> <BR><BR>I don't know how much of this you could squeeze in, but you could see quite a bit. You will have long hours of daylight in July in which to ramble at will with the pass. <BR><BR>The next best alternative is fully dependent on how much other traveling by rail you will be doing in Switzerland.<BR>The SBB - the Swiss federal railway -<BR>offers a very good deal on passes. <BR>The SBB, however, does not control the mountain trains and various cable lifts. These are part of the BOB network, which is a private line.<BR>The Swiss Pass is good for a small discount on the mountain rides, but I recall it as being in the vicinity of 25% except for the normal BOB routes to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen.<BR>Two adults traveling together can buy a 8 day Swiss Pass for 289 chf each.<BR>Right now that is about $173 each.<BR>Children up to 16 are permitted to go free. <BR>So if you are going to travel quite a bit by train in Switzerland, you will want to look into the Swiss Pass. <BR>At this point the possibilities start to branch and bound, so that quite a bit of space is needed for more analysis. But, you get the picture and I hope this will help you plan. <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 01:49 PM
Bob Brown

If you are not wed to Interlaken, you might consider another place. Interlaken is about 7 miles from a good look at the high peaks of the Berner Oberland. I stay in an apartment in Lauterbrunnen, but these usually rent by the week particularly in July, which is peak season. <BR><BR>The only place I know of in terms of detail is the Hotel Staubbach in Lauterbrunnen. A 4 bedded room there costs you 160 SFr. and two double rooms with connecting door and shared<BR>private bathroom is shown at 170.<BR>There some taxes added, so the price would be about $105 depending on the rate of exchange for the 170 franc setup. The place advertises itself as a bed and breakfast, so I presume the cost of breakfast is included in the nightly price. <BR>These places are popular in the summer.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 06:25 AM
s

Bob (& Scott, of course!)<BR><BR>I wonder why you quote the individual sample fares in Euros? I assume the Swiss websites include Euro prices as a way to make comparisons easier, but quoting *only* Euro prices may be misleading for those who do not realize that Switzerland is not part of the European Union (so no Euros as legal tender).<BR><BR>I hate to bring even this mild criticism to you, Bob, whose answers are so thoughtful and so helpful on this forum. This is especially evil of me because I didn't even bother to help out Scott! But forgive my laziness and my nit-picking, and have a great and many-postings new year!<BR><BR>s

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 06:29 AM
jw

So let me get this straight, Switzerland will continue to use the Swf? The little hotels are beginning to quote their prices in euro's, so I was wondering. . . .

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 06:41 AM
s

For jw,<BR><BR>Only 12 nations will use the Euro: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, and Spain. <BR><BR>Hers's a link for a CNN update: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/euro/stories/overview/<BR><BR>I assume, again, that the small hotels are posting in Euros for easy comparison. <BR><BR>s

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Ingo

<BR>Concerning the Euro I have to tell you that the published prices are really only for comparison. The true price is in Sfr. – the Swiss currency. People in Switzerland told me that they might accept Euro in the future. But every day a new exchange rate is fixed, so the Euro prices are changing from day to day. During the last 2 years the Euro lost almost 10% against the Sfr. This is hard for me!<BR><BR>Let’s go to this topic “Berner Oberland Transportation”. It is very difficult to recommend any kind of pass without knowing more about your itinerary, Scott. I am assuming you have to get to Interlaken from somewhere else and get away from there to somewhere else. It is important to include these routes into calculation. Seems to me, the Swiss Card might be a good choice for you. Please tell us more about your intentions for your Switzerland vacation!<BR><BR>One advice: your kids are travelling free with your Swiss Pass if you have a STS Family Card. This Card is free of charge but it is issued only on demand.<BR><BR>Concerning accommodation I think you should choose a small hotel in Interlaken or Wilderswil, maybe Lauterbrunnen. These places are cheaper than the famous Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren. At the moment I have no recommendation but I am going to think about it and will come back when I got an idea.<BR><BR>Bye Ingo<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 09:55 AM
s

For jw,<BR><BR>Only 12 nations will use the Euro: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, and Spain. <BR><BR>Hers's a link for a CNN update: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/euro/stories/overview/<BR><BR>I assume, again, that the small hotels are posting in Euros for easy comparison. <BR><BR>s

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:07 AM
Stuart

My understanding is that there will be more than those 12 euro nations. Others include Montenegro, Kosovo, French Guyana, Reunion, Andorra, San Marino, Monaco and Vatican City.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
s

Ingo, Bob, jw, et al.<BR>I really didn't post that twice -- how rude! It must be a system burp.<BR><BR>**erp**<BR><BR>excuse us!<BR><BR>s