Berlin walking tours....

Search

Berlin walking tours....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin walking tours....

Hello. I am going to be in Berlin in mid March for 3 days (should be long enough, right?) and had questions about which agency I should do a walking tour with. I am torn between two that I found on Fodor's--Berlin Walks and Insider Tours. Any other insights into Berlin or recommendations are certainly appreciated. My plan is to see the usual spots (Reichshtag, Brandenburg Gate), WW 2 and other spots of historical significance including museums and the zoo if time allows.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM

Hi, Q~

We spent 9 days in Berlin last year and it wasn't enough time. And it was my second trip there. Try to extend your stay if you possibly can, there's so much to do.

For walking tours, I highly recommend Brewer's Tours: www.brewersberlintours.com. They have a free half day tour and a bunch of other themed tours for a fee, but we opted for the full-day general tour and we were not disappointed. It was one of the highlights of our trip, jam-packed with info, trivia, all kinds of "off the beaten path" sights and a wonderful, smart and funny guide. And it's only 12 Euros for the full day.

It's best to take the tour toward the start of your visit, that way you get a thorough introduction to the city and understand its history.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I will check with them to see if they have anything for English speakers in March. Sadly, I am on a tight schedule since I also have to see Warsaw and Krakow from 10 March to 20th.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM

I have been on 3 different tours with Insider Tours and found them to be outstanding. We did the regular 4 hour walk, the tour to Potsdam, and the tour to Sachsenhausen. Great guides, who not only offered up Berlins fascinating history in an interesting manner, but also good advice about where to go on our own..
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:59 AM

We've been using the following--most recently last year, and although it is quite old, it is still valid:

Berlinwalks/Four Intimate Walking Tours of Berlin's Most Historic Neighborhoods, With Maps, Photos, and a Select List of Restaurants, Hotels, and Mor (Henry Holt Walks Series) by Peter Fritzsche and Karen Hewitt (Paperback - May 1994)
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM

We did the 4 hour walking tour with Insider tours last October. Our tour guide was excellent and very knowledgeable. Our only regret is that we didn't have time to do some of the other tours offered. The tour was an easy walk, there were both young and old on the trip and we stopped for a quick coffee and bathroom break about half way through.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Hello. My husband and I will be in Berlin for about 3 days this July.

We are looking for an enjoyable and educational tour of Berlin. We enjoy tours with an academic twist.

I've come across two local Berlin tour operators (other than Inside Tours and Brewer's).

I would be grateful for any feedback on them:

1) Humboldt Tours
http://www.humboldttoursberlin.com/

2) Tour The East. They are a private tour operator: http://www.tour-the-east.com/index.p...n_private_tour

Thank you so much!

Alma
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM

I used Berlin Walks for a couple of English language walking tours and they were great. There are group tours that leave daily from the Berlin Zoo train station. Just go there and ask. If nothing has changed, they have an office right in the train station. Take the general Berlin tour if you only have time for one.