Berlin to Warsaw

Search

Berlin to Warsaw

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin to Warsaw

My daughter will be studying abroad in Berlin. We will be arriving in Warsaw late March and the plan is for her to meet us. I have checked both the high speed train and flights. The flights seem like they will be faster, but given the travel to/from airports in both cities - is one a better option over the other?

Our daughter's time is limited so we are mostly interested in what will get her to Warsaw the most efficiently rather than the issue of price. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you -
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 06:05 AM

There are no high speed trains between Berlin and Warsaw. The fastest trains are EC(EuroCity) trains, that are rather slow compared to the ICE trains. They don't make it under six hours. Trains to Warsaw depart from Berlin-Lichtenberg. Have a look at www.bahn.com for times and prices.
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 06:34 AM

Yes www.bahn.de/en German Railways site is source for various a fares-some as low as 29 euros and up if book early enough to get them. Check www.seat61.com for edification on doing that - general info www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

That said at 6 hours I'd fly
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 03:07 PM

I took a "Berlin-Warszawa-Express" train in 2014 from Berlin Hbf to Warsaw, the ride took about 5h30m back then.

Read the-man-in-Seat-61's page for updated info, https://www.seat61.com/berlin-warsaw-express.htm

Looks like the train now takes 6h23m due to line improvement work.
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 09:09 PM
kja

When considering your options, remember that you need to get to and from airports, usually outside of cities, while train stations are often centrally located; you need to be at an airport quite a while in advance, while you can arrive at a train station moments before departure; and you need time at an airport upon arrival to claim your luggage, etc., whereas you can typically simple head out from a train station. Rome2rio.com estimates that the flight time is 4'15" -- if so, I would think that the total time for a train would actually be shorter, but you can do your own calculations in light of specific times and schedules.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:16 AM

Just take the train, hassle-free, city centre to city centre, no airports, no flights.

The Berlin-Warszawa Express trains have a bistro car with beer, wine, coffee, snacks and hot dishes, power sockets for laptops and mobiles, and (usually) free WiFi.

Fares from €29.90 each way in 2nd class or €59.90 in 1st class.

Book at either German Railways www.bahn.de/en (print-at-home tickets eastbound, tickets by post westbound or round trip) or Polish Railways www.intercity.pl (sells tickets westbound one-way or round-trip-starting-in-Poland only, print-at-home)
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:17 AM

Plus the train is a real travel experience, a flight isn't - that's the key!
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 06:10 AM

A non-stop flight from Berlin to Warsaw takes about 90 minutes.
Berlin's TEGEL airport is not far from city center and is easy to get to.
For inter-European flights you only need to be at the airport one-hour before departure.
She may only travel with a carry-on, no check-in luggage.
So take all of these into consideration.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 07:03 AM

Just take the train, hassle-free, city centre to city centre, no airports, no flights.>

OP says time is of essence not price. Flying in this case is the only sensible thing to do rather than a 6-hour train ride.

Plus the train is a real travel experience, a flight isn't - that's the key!>

I agree but again OP wants quickest way so trains are just out of the Q.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 11:24 PM

Ah, so this is a business traveller?

The flight takes 90 min, 2 hour check-in, half an hour to the airport at each end, we're up to 4h30 already...

But if travelling on business, every minute counts.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 03:41 AM

The fastest way to FLY from Berlin to Warsaw and back is with LOT.
Actually, it's the only non-stop service anyway.

You fly from Berlin-Tegel (TXL) and land at Warsaw-Frederic Chopin (WAW).
Both airports are very close to the city center.
At each end, a taxi won't break the bank (appr. €20).

Return airfare is as little as €89 in late March.

Departing from Tegel airport does not require any earlier arrival AT the airport than 60 minutes before departure. And this is also WITH luggage. Getting there 2hrs before departure is totally useless.

So even when you calculate costs for taxi in, the whole trip is in the vicinity of €140 return.
Not exactly only for the rich and famous.

In addition, the train ride from Berlin to Warsaw takes you through one of the dullest scenery you find on the continent.
5-6 hours of forests, plains, more forests, some more plains, and much more forests.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 08:40 AM

The flight takes 90 min, 2 hour check-in, half an hour to the airport at each end, we're up to 4h30 already...>

And planes are often later than trains - and no travering crowded airports - flying is definitely quicker as cowboy points out but trains and getting on them a lot more relaxed. And at 30 euros I suspect a lot cheaper.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:33 AM

half an hour to the airport at each end>

Well if Warsaw train starts at Berlin Lichtenberg then that station from most hotels where folks will stay could take even longer.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:00 AM

The Berlin-Warszawa-Express does not start or end at Berlin Lichtenberg station since at least 2006.
It starts at Berlin Central (Hauptbahnhof) and calls at Berlin East (Ostbahnhof) but not at Lichtenberg.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 02:21 PM

Ah that's what I thought - thanks for correction.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 08:33 AM

Yes flights best option here I agree.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 09:36 AM

I love how the train advocates discuss the time only in so far as the actual time from departure from terminus 1 to arrival at final destination, and exclude the time for waiting for a cab, getting to the station, navigating the station, departing the destination station and travel to final destination. Thus, a 6:23 hour train ride compares to a "4.5" hour total for a plane because those travel-and-wait times ARE added to the flight time but not to the train ride.

No one with any sense gets to the station right as the train is about to depart and unless your ultimate destination is right atop the station, you still have more travel time. Even if this is only 30 minutes on each end, now the train is nearly 7.5 hours compared to (Seat 61's estimate) 4.5 with the plane, or 2/3 longer.

And I understand the Man in Seat 61 can post here and is a train fanatic, but he also receives money from people who use his (admittedly useful) website as a portal from which to procure train tickets - he has an interest in the choice made. He should disclose it.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:17 AM

Agree with Big Russ about train times being longer than just the total train time.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 09:40 AM

But to me trains are interesting in that you see the countyside in between Berlin and Warsaw - Poland warts and all.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Agree with Big Russ, too. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere, sitting on a train watching scenery go by is frustrating. This doesn't sound like an "enjoy the journey" kind of a trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -