Berlin-Prague by train. Stop in Dresden?

Mar 18th, 2001, 06:47 PM
mark niermann

Berlin-Prague by train. Stop in Dresden?

We're headed from Berlin to Prague by train in mid April. We're toying with the idea of stopping in Dresden - it looks like it's right on the way. So - how is train travel between Berlin and Prague, and is Dresden worth the stop? Thanks a lot - Mark.

Mar 19th, 2001, 03:12 AM
Rob

Dresden is definitely worth the stop. The inner city has been wonderfully restored, and it has great museums. Among them is the "Gruenes Gewoelbe", which is a collection of jewelry - amazing. Don't get discouraged by the area around the train station though - a "gift" of communism.

Mar 19th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Linda

Dresden is about 2 hours by train from Berlin and 2 1/2 hours to Prague. I enjoyed seeing Dresden very much, but we were with a resident. Just realizing how destroyed the city was and the beautiful rebuilding is worth the stop. As Rob said, the museums are nice and the people as well. Meissen is near if you like the porcelein.

Mar 25th, 2001, 07:03 PM
mario champagne

I have done Prague-Dresden-Berlin last year..and Dresden was a very worthy stop..I have stayed 2.5 days...You have to get a "tagekarte" (pass for a day) to use all transportation available ( tram, train, boat) and take the train to Meissen ( 20 min from downtown) and also go south to Bastei, the most amazing mountains I have ever seen and then Konigstein, a huge castle ,..it is an area, if you like castles, where you may pass easily 3 to 4 days..and I found few tourists, very typical..it is called the swiss saxe because it is often looking like switzerland...In dresden, I stayed at the youth hostel and amazingly clean and quiet..Have a nice trip..I may scan for you pictures of Bastei..if you write to me...

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Ann

Dresden is definitely worth a stop! But I'd have to think about staying overnight... you might want to check out this month's issue of Conde Nast Traveler, which has a really good pictorial on the city and the restoration of the Frauenkirche. It's an awesome sight...

Search this Thread