Search

Berlin ???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robespierre: your experience dropping in to France puts me in mind of our very first arrival in Europe. We had dropped in to Schiphol and taken the train into Amsterdam. Stepping out into daylight from Amsterdam's Central Station, we stopped dead in our tracks as we were confronted with the tall narrow Dutch canal-side buildings and the cobbled squares and streets and bridges, on one of which an organ- grinder was wurlitzing away in melodic fury, and I heard my wife gasp beside me and say: "Wow - it's really real! There really ARE places like the ones we used to see in our children's picture-books!"

It was a sentiment to be repeated in many places over the following weeks: Bruges in Belgium, Bacharach in Germany, Dinan in france, and so on and so on.

obxgirl,

I doubt anyone here is seriously trashing those who choose not to travel. Maybe just trying to rationalize what seems irrational in our minds? I hadn't thought much about traveling to Europe until DH and I were offered a free place to stay for a week in Austria. We had an unexpected fantastic time and came back with THE TRAVEL BUG. Perhaps some of us who have the bug want to share this fascination with family and friends, cuz, it's so cool, right? Maybe, like us, if they just went once, then they'd get it.

Remember my sister who wouldn't travel outside the USA? Well, she now wants to go to Rome and Paris! Wonders never cease.

Berlin ???

LOL, creflors, I will make up for it with consumption of wine and chocolate~
The Yankee is the sorbet/gelato person in the family~
Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 08:25 PM
Sam

Hi, <BR>I'm going to be in Berlin for 5 days in mid-May. What are the things to see ? I heard that the nightlife is great in Berlin. So, what dance club or bar you recommend ? In what part of Berlin it's best to stay in ?

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 12:03 AM
pat

Sam; <BR>I would recommend you to check the details of Berlin from Timeout website. <BR>www.timeout.com <BR>I went there for a week and really loved it, good public transport, and of course great night life! <BR> <BR>Enjoy your time in Berlin.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:22 AM
Linda

During the day, check out the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, InfoBox, Potsdam, Pergamon(misspelled) Museum with full ancient ruin, Olympic Stadium, Reichstag, KaDeWe Department Store on Kurfurstendam Strasse, Unter der Linden, Templehof Air Base (Berlin AirLift). There is just so much to do, it's a great city. Plenty of Opera, Symphony, Concerts, Art Museums. The people are very friendly and fun.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:50 PM
Sam

Thanks Linda & Pat, for your info. Do you know a good ( and well situated ) hotel in Berlin ?

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Nancy

Hi Sam, I'll be in Berlin April 24-May 3 and will check in with my suggestions when I get back. I can guarantee that I'll be utterly useless in terms of nightlife suggestions, but I should be able to help out with sightseeing suggestions. As to hotels, what price range do you have in mind?

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors Berlin ??? <BR> <BR>I spend 80 US dollars a night for a single room with a good breakfast and with a shower down the corridor at the Hotel Crystal, Kantstrasse 144, 10623 Berlin, phone 030/312 90 47, fax 030/312 64 65. You'd need to book ahead by credit card: they speak good English -- nearly as good as yours. To get there you take the S-bahn one stop west of the Zoo, drop by lift to Bliebtreustrasse, walk 100 yards north and 100 yards east, and there you are. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Jon

Sam~ <BR>If you want to stay at a central location and want to spend $$$, stay at the Steigenberger Hotel. I didnt need a Taxi for anything. It's very expsnevi but the prices may have dropped since I went during New Years Eve. The night life rocks. I suggest you Don't go to club Far Out. We waited in line for about an hour to get into this "room". It's a great choice if you want to go where the locals go.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 02:55 AM
Deborah

Linda's suggestions were right on. I'd also add the Berliner Dom, the Reichstag, and the Brandenberg Gate. If you are interested in organ music, there are frequent concerts offered at the Dom that last about an hour to 90 minutes. When I was there, we took one of the city tours where you can get on and off as much as you like, and we found that helpful. <BR> <BR>The Radio Tower at Alexanderplatz is interesting and gives a wonderful view of the city. <BR> <BR>Also, when you go to the Pergamon Museum, there are several others in the area you might want to see. They are on what is referred to as Museum Island. I think there is at least one or two art museums. Pick the ones that cover what you are interested in.