Reload this Page >

Bergen to Helsinki

Search

Bergen to Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 12:28 PM
AL

Bergen to Helsinki

I am planning a trip to Scandanavia from Bergen to Helsinki. Can someone tell me: <BR> <BR>1. Whether a good fiord can be seen on a day trip from Bergen. If so, what vessel? <BR> <BR>2. What is a good "moderately" priced hotel in central Bergen? <BR> <BR>3. How many hours by train from Bergen to Oslo. Where can I get a schdule and how to make reservations in advance. Does a train continue on to Stockholm and how much longer does it take. <BR> <BR> Thank you very much for any information you can give to make my once in a lifetime trip a success. <BR>

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 08:12 PM
Mike

Once in a lifetime? Don't say that. You will return. Ok, here is the scoop. From Bergen you can take the train to Myrdal and then down to Flam. From here catch the boat to Gudvangen. Great easy one day trip. The train to Oslo is 7 hours and can be done as a night train. From Oslo to Stockholm another 8 hours and again a night train is best. You could continue to Stockholm, but you will have to change in Oslo. Where to stay? I'm cheap. I stay in hostels so I cannot help you much with this. Good luck. Email if you have any other questions. Tak! <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Mike

<BR>

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:36 AM
Mike

Thanks much for the info. Much appreciated. As for the train from Bergen to Oslo and on to Stockholm, I learned somewhere that there was an early morning train from Bergen and since we were not planning on stopping in Oslo we might go directly to Stockholm. So I guess we could take that train and change in Oslo to a night train to Stockholm. What would be the main inducement to spend time a day in Oslo rather than going right through? <BR> <BR> Terve, AL <BR>

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 08:32 AM
Tracy

Like Mike said - You WILL want to return!!! <BR>First of all, if you're not leaving soon, call the Norwegian (Scandinavian) Tourist board, and have them send you an info packet. I believe the # is 212-949-2333. Also, check out the web sites: http://www.fjordnorway.no & http://www.tourist.no (if you e-mail me, I can send you a whole bunch of links on Scandinavia) <BR> Getting to Oslo, I would suggest the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour and commbine the trip with sightseeing. It takes approximately 7 hrs. We bought our tickets early that morning at the train station in downtown Bergen. (My tour book gives booking info as: www.nsb.no) <BR> As far as hotels, we stayed at the Bergen Inn - on the outskirts of Bergen. It was an entire apartment, and cost $95/night. I don't have any info as to reaching them although. <BR> You can also ask a Norwegian directly thru the Database of Travel Helpers - http://www.geocities.com/the tropics/2442/database.html <BR>HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!! & don't forget your camera.