Bergen or Oslo?

Apr 13th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Amanda

Bergen or Oslo?

Making a trip soon and have to choose between Oslo and Bergen. Taking the ferry from Kristiansand, so I thought Oslo was closer and maybe Bergen wasn't worth the trip, but Oslo isn't looking that exciting. Am I wrong??? Would love any input. Thank you in advance!

Apr 13th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Greg

Amanda,

I've been to both and Bergen is a much nicer place to tour. Oslo has the sculpture gardens, but after that not a whole lot more. It is more metropolitan than Bergen. Have a good trip.

Greg

Apr 13th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Joan

I visited both 30 years ago. Both have their charm. My friend and I went to a concert in Grieg' home which was a highlight for us.
Joan

Apr 14th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Don

I have spent time in both cities as well and would recommend Bergen as a more exciting destination. The Munch Museum and Vigeland (sp?) Park in Oslo are interesting.

If you take Color Line from Hirtshals to Kristiansand, be ready to disembark as soon as possible. You have a very short time before the train to Stavanger leaves (you can see the train station as you exit the ship walkway). There's no train from Stavanger to Bergen, but Flagrutten Ferry line takes an inside passage with about 7 or 8 small island village stops along the way to pick up passengers. Stavanger would be a nice stopover city.

Apr 14th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Bjorn

Amanda: Where do you get in. Kristiansand as ell, or? Is car rental an alternative for you? How many days do you have? And at what time of year?
Maybe neither Bergen nor Oslo will be appropriate within you time limits? Maybe the southern coastline and the beautiful small villages and the shores will do....
Bjorn, Oslo