Reload this Page >

Bergen - Must see things

Search

Bergen - Must see things

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 08:33 AM
Dennis

Bergen - Must see things

I have a Scandinavian trip planned for early September, and unfortunately will only be spending 1 day in Bergen. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for must see places or things to do? Nice places to eat, entertainment, and getting around. <BR>

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Al

I am sure some Norwegian readers will make good suggestions. But my wife and I spent a day seeing beautiful Bergen on foot. Certainly, take the funicular (floien) railway to the top of the mountain. The view overlooking the town and fjord is spectacular. See the old town, alongside the harbor. The fish market is one huge photo opportunity and the snacks at the food stalls are delicious. <BR>There is a tour out to Edvard Grieg's home that we did not take but we understand is very worthwhile. We found a particularly nice restaurant across the street from the opera house. Cafe Opera. They have an interesting switch on Dairy-Queen-type soft ice cream cones. They dip the cones into a chocolate cocoa powder and sprinkle little candy bits onto them. Quite good. We prowled a lot of good antique shops and did a lot of people-watching. Fortunately, we had splendid weather that day. We understand Bergen is Norway's rainiest city. We lucked in.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 08:42 AM
Al

I am sure some Norwegian readers will make good suggestions. But my wife and I spent a day seeing beautiful Bergen on foot. Certainly, take the funicular (floien) railway to the top of the mountain. The view overlooking the town and fjord is spectacular. See the old town, alongside the harbor. The fish market is one huge photo opportunity and the snacks at the food stalls are delicious. <BR>There is a tour out to Edvard Grieg's home that we did not take but we understand is very worthwhile. We found a particularly nice restaurant across the street from the opera house. Cafe Opera. They have an interesting switch on Dairy-Queen-type soft ice cream cones. They dip the cones into a chocolate cocoa powder and sprinkle little candy bits onto them. Quite good. We prowled a lot of good antique shops and did a lot of people-watching. Fortunately, we had splendid weather that day. We understand Bergen is Norway's rainiest city. We lucked in.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 10:30 PM
Joanna

Agree with the above posting's suggestions. Greig's house is lovely and I personally found it more interesting that my friend who accompanied me, as my first ever record was "Peer Gynt" when I was 10; as you only have 1 day I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a special interest in Greig, as it will take 2 hours to get there, see it and return to the city centre. Have a good walk around the town centre/along the waterfront. You could visit the Hanseatic museum and Hakonshallen (spelling?), esp. if you get lots of rain!

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Dennis

Bringing to the top. Thanks for your all information.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 08:41 AM
Nils

I live in Bergen. You also should take the cable car to the mountain of Ulriken, visit the Aquarium, visit the Fantoft Stave church, the Maria Churh (900 years old) and the Bryggen Museum. The old houses of Bryggen are on the UNESCO list. Bergen is a rainy city, but in summer we can have fine weather. Welcome to Bergen! Nils <BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 05:52 AM
Dennis

Brining to the top..... <BR>4 weeks to go to our trip.. <BR>How's the weather been in July this year.. What type of weather would we have for early Sept.... <BR>Thank you everyone for your replies.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 03:48 AM
Nils

Sorry for the late answer. <BR> <BR>In July we had both rain and fine weather. August only fine weather. Now it is raining, but the temperature is relatively high: 18 degrees C. Most probably you will have some rain and relatively mild weather here in September. Welcome to Bergen!