Berchtesgaden/Eagles Nest

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berchtesgaden/Eagles Nest

I have read that there isn't much left at Eagles Next from Nazi days, is this true? Worth going to?
Rick
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:11 PM

The German government has always downplayed the place as being connected with Hitler.
But if you go to the tourist office in town, you can book a small van tour with two very interesting people who run a tour. They are authorized to give these tours and they will give you a tremendous amount of information. In addition to the trip to the top, you will also visit the tunnels of a bunker -- very interesting -- one of the last holdouts of the Nazis. I highly suggest doing this.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:17 PM

Was at Eagles Nest in 2000 and it is well kept. If it is not foggy on top of the mountain, the view is spectacular and well worth the trip. If you go on a tour, the guide will explain all about the Hitler days and as I remember, Hitler only went there a few times. Usually the tour also includes some of the lower valley (Bertchesgaden) where Hitler and his cronies all had massive houses, recreation facilities and tunnels connecting them. Berchtesgaden was described as Hitler's Camp David. Nothing much left of that now though! The tour we went on also included a tour through a Salt mine, so the day was well worth it and I would definately recommend the Eagles Nest.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:46 PM
jor

Hitlers bombed home, guest hotel, eagle's nest, and extensive tunnel system are actually not in Bertesgarten. They are on the nearby mountain in an area called Obersaltzberg. I used to work there when it was operated by the US military in the 80's. We explored the bunkers and tunnels many times. They are very extensive. Most people are not given access to many of them and they are not advertised. Hitler's house was blown up by the Bavarian government in the 50s but you can still find the ruins.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Intrepid

We took the tour a couple of years ago.And there is only one authorized tour operator as Patrick has posted. the tours fill up VERY fast and I think the max number of passengers is either 6 or 8..very worthwhile IMO if you are interested in this sort of thing.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Yes, don't confuse this "mini" tour with the many big bus tours which are available to the top of Eagle's Nest. Those do not include the "Hitlerized" version of the entire area.