Berchtesgaden area/Zurich area

Feb 16th, 2000, 02:21 PM
jill

Berchtesgaden area/Zurich area

Need suggestions on accomodations for a couple of nights in the Berchtesgaden area. Also, flight departs Zurich around 10:00 a.m. - where would be the best place to stay the night before? Thanks for the suggestions.

Feb 16th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Penny McLain

HI
My husband was in the military so when visiting Berchtesgaden we always stayed at the Armed Forces hotels, but we have visited the Hotel Geiger and it was very nice. The restaurant is wonderful (if a little expensive..) and the area is gorgeous. You might try them and see what you think. Unfortuantelty I can't help with Zurich-

Feb 16th, 2000, 05:08 PM
wes fowler

Jill,
There's a small (18 room) hotel in Dielsdorf which is about a half hour drive from the Zurich airport. It's the Hotel Lowen, Hinterdorstrasse 21 CH-8157, Dielsdorf; tel: 01 853 11 32.
It was recommended in one of Karen Brown's books a couple of years ago. We found it to be charming with a fine restaurant as well.

I think I've already corresponded with you regarding the problems of accommodations in Upper Bavaria due to the Oberammergau Passion Play. Berchtesgaden should be far enough east that finding accommodations there shouldn't be a significant problem. Can't offer suggestions however.

Feb 17th, 2000, 04:49 AM
the turnip

Hi Jill,

I'm not sure what level of accomodation your looking for near Berchestgaden. Just last May we stayed a very cute B&B just 5 minutes away from the Konigseesee that had great views. If you'd like the information for it drop me a line and I'd be happy to dig through my notes to find the address and phone number for you.

Regards, the turnip

Feb 17th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Ken Horn

Jill- I stayed at the Hotel Watzmann on the main strasse in room 110 for 140 dM
in Berchtesgaden last September. Private shower/WC and Fruhstuk included. Other people say the Post Hotel is also a good value. Both are on the street where the TI is located. (The TI was a little hard for me to find.) Have a good time.

Feb 17th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Bob

You will not be disappointed in the Watzmann or the Post. Both nice. The Watzmann has very good English speaking employees and we have stayed there 3 times. Nice outdoor beer garden in the summer.

Feb 17th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Tom

Jill - Just alittle southwest of B'gdn on hwy 305 is the small picturesque Bavarian town of Ramsau complete with Onion-dome church and a small river flowing through. I have stayed at Gasthof Oberwirt a number of times. Typical german gasthaus with restaurant and large modern rooms with wonderful showers for $50-60/nt for a double. I have never made a reservation but if you wish email me and I will dig out their phone number. When you walk in the guy by the bar with the big bushy mustache speaks perfect english. I will probably end up there myself for a few days in May. Regards- Tom

Feb 21st, 2000, 09:57 AM
Jill

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

To Wes - believe it or not I was able to get res'v in fussen even with the Passion Play!

Thanks again to everyone!

Feb 21st, 2000, 01:14 PM
Emily Connolly

What month are you staying and do you want to stay directly in town or will you have a car? There are places to stay way up in the Alps that are very scenic and they are millions of places in between. The Geiger is closed down. We were told that the owner had a gambling problem. How much do you want to spend and what type of hotel do you want? We have traveled to B'gaden every year for over 20 years, so I can recommend a lot of different places, but you need to be more specific about location. Also, if you are only staying 2 nites during the busy season, it's not always easy to get a hotel for just 2 nites. If you can give me more details - I will give you some suggestions.