Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento - what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Kelly

Hello. The Bellevue Syrene looks great on the web. I was wondering if anyone has been there and if it is worth staying there. Also, we had thought of staying there and exploring the Amalfi Coast from there over 4 days. Is that a good idea or should we do that hotel 2 days and another in the coast for 2? We have a 2 yr old so thinking about it, it would be more convenient to stay in one spot as long is the Bellevue is relaxing enough of a hotel for my husband and I. Thanks to everyone who replies.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Mari

Kelly, we stayed at the Bellevue Syrene last summer for a few days. I liked it but my husband did not. <BR><BR>Our room was not at all like the one on the web even though they said most rooms looked like the one on the web. We paid about 575,000 lire for a triple with sea view and small balcony. The rate included a buffet breakfast. The room was on the small side and nothing special to look at as the one on the web appears to be. <BR><BR>Please understand that the Bellevue Syrene was our last stop in Italy after staying for 2 weeks in two beautiful villas. We felt a bit confined in a hotel. By the way, if you have a room such as we did, be careful if you go out on the balcony and close the sliding door. You cannot open them from the outside. <BR><BR>My sister stayed next door at the Hotel Tramontano and she got a better rate. I thought it was a very nice hotel. Her room was bright and spacious. <BR><BR>Both hotels have beautiful views and are within walking distance of all the shops, restaurants, etc. of Sorrento. You will fall in love with Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Maggie

Kelly,<BR> We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene several years ago and liked it very much. We had booked a "garden view" room but quickly realized we wanted to face the bay. The staff moved our luggage in the morning and we were delighted with our view and balcony. We found the staff to be very helpful. <BR><BR>The Bellevue Syrene has been discussed many times on this board and generally gets very good review. Try doing a search for more info.<BR><BR>I would suggest you consider staying in Sorrento for 2 days and then moving to Positano for 2 more. We did the reverse and it worked out very nicely. The Amalfi coast drive is dazzlingly but to do it for long stretches for 4 days might be a bit much. Also, from Sorrento consider taking the hydofoil to Capri. All in all, it is a beautiful area and we have some wonderful memories. You'll have agreat time.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Kelly

TO MARI:<BR>Did you book a triple room or a JUNIOR SUITE TRIPLE on 2 levels? Please let me know - the rate I was quoted was 350 EUROS for the suite. It is more than we hoped to spend but thought it might be nice and the question is : is it worth it? Thanks! Let me know about the room - I'd like to hear from you.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Mari

We booked a triple room which was on the top floor. Our room had one full bed and a twin in an alcove area just inside the door near the bathroom. Try to ask for a larger triple room. Our mothers had a triple also just in case my sister stayed with us, but their room was smaller than ours. I can't recall why we decided not to take the suite. Sorry I can't offer any info about it. If you call or email the Bellevue Syrene, Carmine Berton is very helpful. <BR><BR>I don't think I would move around for several two day stays. It sounds like you want to do some sightseeing but also have time to relax. I probably would select a place to stay and explore the surrounding area from there.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Patrick

Tried to answer this twice yesterday, but post wouldn't work, so here goes again.<BR>We spent several nights each in Capri, Positano, and Sorrento. We wanted to stay at the Bellevue Syrene, but sort of blew our hotel budget in Capri and Positano, so stayed at a cheaper, non-descript place in Sorrento. We walked through Bellevue Syrene and were sorry we didn't stay there. It is such a spectacular setting and a lovely old place.<BR>With only four nights, planned exploration of the area, and a two year old in tow, I'd stay at the Bellevue Syrene for the full trip. Don't get me wrong, I loved Positano, but mainly to just sit and relax there. What is the point if you plan to get out and travel, yet need the convenience of the hotel at hand for the little one. Public transportation is also much easier from Sorrento.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Joanne

Kelly: Bellevue Syrene is our "home" on every visit to Sorrento. It has quite a history, going back to Roman times. It is ideally located with a fabulous view of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. The last time we were there, we wandered about the hotel one day and found some very interesting areas we had never seen before.<BR><BR>The dining room faces the bay with the entire wall windowed. Breakfast is quite good with scrambled eggs and meats, which normally aren't served in included breakfasts. Great way to start the day.<BR><BR>Carmine is indeed a jewel! We found a bottle of champagne in our room (his compliments)on our last visit.<BR><BR>The Circumvesuviana station is walking distance from the hotel, which you will use for sightseeing to Pompeii, Ercolano, etc. Also, we caught the SITA bus in front of the station for our trip to Positano/Amalfi. Marina Piccolo is also walking distance from the hotel and where you catch the hydrofoil to Capri, Ischia, etc.<BR><BR>I can't recommend the hotel and Sorrento, for that matter, highly enough. Would live in Sorrento part of the year if we could afford it.<BR><BR>j