Search

Bellagio to Luzern

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bellagio to Luzern

Hi,
I was wondering what might be the best way to make this trip.

I was originally planning bus from Bellagio to Como. Then train from there.

However, another option might be ferry to Menaggio, bus to Lugano and train from there.

Does anyone have experience on how easy it is to do option 2?

Is the bus station in Menaggio near the ferry? Similarly, is the bus stop in Lugano near the train station?

With luggage, I am not sure that it would be worth the trouble to make these connections.

As always, thank you for the advice.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:07 AM

Wsm - Without luggage I'd go via Menaggio to Lugano - but WITH luggage I'd probably go via Como.

The problem is in Lugano - the bus stop is some distance from the railway station, and I don't remember seeing a taxi rank anywhere nearby ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. Trains from Como to Switzerland leave from Como San Giovanni station.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:35 AM

You could also take a ferry to Como, then a taxi up to the train station (San Giovanni). That's what I did last year. There are plenty of taxis near the ferry dock in Como. FYI, if you want to drop off your luggage at the train station and walk around Como a bit, you can check it with whoever is minding the bar in the train station. Last year, the cost was 3.5 euro per piece.
Re the ride from Como (or Lugano, same train) to Luzern, I have done that several times and find that sitting on the left hand side (heading north) gives you a more picturesque view than sitting on the right (not that the right side isn't also very picturesque).
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:51 AM

The Lugano option makes more sense to me. But, you will have to taxi to the train station which is above town.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Weekender

Agree with BTilke. It is very easy just to take the fast boat from Bellagio to Como, taxi to Como San Giovanni and then onto the train. Simple.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I was originally planning the busy to Como because I thought it would head right to the train station.

However, from the responses, it sounds like taking the high-speed boat in is quite convenient.

BTilke, Appreciate the advice with the luggage in Como and which side to sit on the way north.