Reload this Page >

Bellagio to Lugano

Search

Bellagio to Lugano

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Lil Luddy

Bellagio to Lugano

Can you do a day trip from Bellagio to Lugano, Switzerland? If so, how do you go?

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 10:15 AM
FriscoFred

Absolutely. <BR>The trip is quite painless, most of it by autostrada. I don't have my maps with me but we did this trip last fall (one way, though). Took about an hour to get to Cernobbio as I recall. You have the choice of driving up the west side of the lake and taking a ferry to Bellagio, or driving around to Bellagio. I'd recommend the former as it's quicker, less stress and you certainly don't need a car in Bellagio. In the summer, the drive around the lake is apparently much more painstaking than when we were there (traffic, of course). <BR>Be sure and take along plenty of haggis in your fanny pack for a lovely lakeside picnic. A Mexican beanie cloth tied around the neck and you'll feel very Italian as you slog through your haggis.

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Beth Y.

I have done it for a day trip by train and boat, if you have no car. I actually did it the other way, going from Lugano to Bellagio. I took the train from central Lugano, which has a vernicular which takes you down to lakefront. The train leaves from Como, which means you will have to get there. To save time, look for the fastest, most direct boat that will get you to Como in time for the train. I was traveling alone and very unplanned and, as I took a slow boat to Bellagio, actually had little time there. But leaving earlier and with better planning, you could have more time in Lugano.

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 11:50 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Lil, Well, the trip is painless <BR>and about an hour but it does not involve any autostradas. Just take the <BR>ferry from Bellagio to Mennagio on the west shore and then it is a straight <BR>shot on S-340 into Lugano. If no car, <BR>then the local bus runs the same route. <BR>This is a easy trip and done often. Be <BR>sure to see Lugano--it is great.

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 08:08 PM
FriscoFred

Actually, Bob, since our trip was to Bellagio via Cernobbio (where we were staying), it was by autostrada most of the way. As the crow flies this is not the shortest distance to Lago di Como. The shortest auto route is to follow the road along the northern shore of Lake Lugano as it leaves the city of Lugano, thru Oria and Porlezza, reaching Lago di Como at Menaggio, where the first of the ferries to Bellagio can be accessed.