Reload this Page >

Bellagio -how to get there??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:00 AM
aileen

I would like to get a few details on exactly how one travels from Milan to Bellagio. does one need to pre-purchase a trian ticket and is that ticket to Como? How far is it to the hydro foil that takes you to Bellagio..etc??<BR>thanks if you can help.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:16 AM
GAC

Take the train from Milano to Como, then either a bus or a ferry/hydrofoil from Como to Bellagio. You have TWO train options: from Milano Centrale Station to Como San Giovanni Station (from where its a 700 yard walk to the hydrofoil dock), OR from Milano Cadorna Station to Como Nord Station (from where its a 200 yard walk). The train leaving from Milano Cadorna takes 10/15 minutes longer, but gets you closer to the hydrofoil and bus station. You don't need to pre-purchase any of these tickets. Here are the web sites for schedules and fares:<BR><BR>www.trenitalia.com (Trains)<BR>www.sptcomo.it (Buses to Bellagio)<BR>www.navigazionelaghi.it (Ferry/hydrofoils)

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Sue

Take my advice and use the station closer to the hydrofoil dock. It's a very long walk if you get off at the other station - especially if you get lost as we did!<BR><BR>This is a lovely day trip from Milan and I highly recommend it. We had the most lovely lunch in Bellagio (didn't write down the name sorry) and the town is just small enough for afternoon shopping.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Howard

Then, when you get to Como, you have a choice of two boats--one makes only three stops and takes 45 minutes. The other make many stops and take 2 hours. While it is a nice ride on the slower vessel, I'd opt for the shorter ride to give you more time in Bellagio. You'll probably do addotiional riding on ferries to visit other sites around the lake, so the shorter ride should do.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Nicole

We went to Bellagio in 1997. We traveled to Milan from Switzerland on the train (I believe the station is called Milano Centrale). Then we took a train from Milan to Varenna. Yes, you can also take a train to Como as the others suggested -- those trains probably run more frequently. But we were able to catch a train to Varenna, which is literally right across the lake from Bellagio. <BR><BR>You do not have to pre-purchase tickets. When you get to the Milan train station, there are signs all over with train schedules...just look up the next train, and then go to the counter to buy your ticket. <BR><BR>When we arrived in Varenna, we walked down to the dock, and took a ferry to Bellagio (I think the ferries to Bellagio ran every 1/2 to 1 hour). The ferry ride was only 10-15 minutes.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:34 AM
GAC

Nicole's suggestion to connect in Varenna is a good option which you should seriously consider. You can reach Bellagio faster than by connecting in Como. Trains depart from Milano Centrale only, about every two hours. Travel time is 60 minutes. The ferry dock in Varenna is less than 500 yards from the train station. There are half hourly ferries from Varenna to Bellagio.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Howard

Yes, Nicole is indeed correct. The Varenna train is a good option.