Four nights in Munich too long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already asked this question about the Rhine/Mosel area and now I would like your opinions about Munich. Our time in Munich will be part of an 18 day trip to Germany, Amsterdam and Brugge. We will have been in Europe for more than a week by the time we get to Munich. One of the days we are in Munich we will daytrip to Halstatt. Following the time in Munich we will travel to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights. Are 4 nights too long for Munich?
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Of course not, 40 years aren't long enough. Just try to avoid Oktoberfest, and you'll enjoy yourself perfectly
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:14 AM

One of our favorite cities. High spots: the Alte Pinakothek, the Residenz (there is a special little weinstube tucked into the Residenz you should make a point to visit), an excellent base to visit Ludwig's castles to the south. The Deutsches Museum on an island in the river is very interesting. Also the toy museum, the Viktualienmarkt, the restaurant in the basement of the Rathaus. Make sure you pay a visit to the most marvelous delicatessen we know of, Alois Dalmayr near the Rathaus. If you are going in warm weather, spend an evening in the Englischer Garten, near the Chinesischer Turm (the Chinese Tower). Halstatt is scenic and small. Innsbruck, IMHO, holds little of interest. If you are going to Garmisch, and the weather is nice, go up the Zugspitze by cog and cable.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM

If you want to see Halstatt, why not do an overnight there. It's a long trek to get there, and it's a very beautiful, relaxing little village.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM

I might change the over-night to Halstatt & do the daytrip to Garmisch. Salzburg is also a good daytrip from Munich. I always have a great time in Munich so I don't think 4 days is too much. It is a great place to daytrip from also.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of overnight in Halstatt too but I already cut Switzerland out of our itinerary (too much driving and changing hotels) so I wanted to see more of the Bavarian Alps. But we could easily see the Ludwig Castles as a daytrip from Munich which was my original plan.How does Halstatt compare to Fussen?
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Munich is a fabulous city, you could spend the entire time shopping and eating!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:45 AM

If you enjoy art, in addition to the Pinakothek, visit the Glyptothek, with gorgeous collections of Greek and Roman sculpture. Say hi to the Barberini Faun for me. ;-)
The Antikensammlung across the street has some of the most beautiful Greek vases in the world in its collection. My favorite: a kylix (drinking cup) with interior image of Dionysos on a boat, surrounded by dolphins.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Lily, I found both Hallstatt and the Fussen area near the castles to be wonderful. Very picturesque! But if I had to choose one, I personally would choose Hallstatt. I loved the Salzkammergut and Hallstatt is such a great little town.

Tracy
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Great suggestions, saving for future trip. Barb
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Here's a great and very very weird Munich restaurant recommendation for you!

Nektar!

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/g.../munich-nektar
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback and recommendations. I have a new itinerary now (about the 5th draft!) and I'll post again. Thanks and Happy New Year to all.