Search

Belgium, Day Trips from Basel, & Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belgium, Day Trips from Basel, & Barcelona

Hello, traveling friends!

I believe I have narrowed down my trip with my college-aged girls this July. We will start out in Brussels on a Sunday and perhaps spend two days there, with a day trip to Antwerp or something. Then we will head to the seaside, Knokke area, on Monday late afternoon or Tuesday, where my one daughter will be finishing up her time as an au pair for a family there. We will spend a couple of days seaside, taking in Bruges and maybe Ghent. Then, Thursday night we will fly to Basel, Switzerland where my other daughter will be preparing to be an au pair for a year for a family. We are arriving earlier than her start date so she can meet the family before they head on vacation, pair down her luggage, and then do some more exploring! We have about a week left at this point.

I was thinking we could find an Airbnb in Basel and use that as a home base for like 4 days so we can take some day trips to places like Lucerne and The Black Forest in Germany and maybe The Rhine Falls or Strasburg, France. But, this is where I could use some suggestions. The girls still would like to head to Barcelona and spend a few days at the end of the trip. If we arrive Basel on a Thursday night, spend Friday with the family and then plan a few day trips out of Basel, is this our best home base? Which day trips would you most recommend? If we leave from Basel the next Tuesday morning to Barcelona, would it be a good taste of the city to have 2 1/2 days there before heading back home Friday?

My girls are very adventurous and want to see as much as they can. They don't care too much for too slow of a pace. So, that is not really a factor for those who would like to suggest that we are rushing these places a bit too much.

Any advice and suggestions are most welcome! I want to make this a very memorable time with my daughters (19, 22, 23 years old).

Thank you so much!!

Old Apr 9th, 2019, 03:49 PM

Belgium is said to have Europe's densest train system and trains are great going everywhere all the time - reservations on domestic trains not even possible. And cities and cars don't mix - Knokke-Heist is easiy reached by train from Brussels and Bruges and trains trundle along the whole coast practically to France. For lots on Belgium, Swiss and Spanish trains check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

All of Switzerland is practically an easy day trip from Basel as is Colmar and Strasbourg two gems nearby in France. Barcelona - I recommend Montserrat - ancient pilgrimage mecca still going strong. Short train ride on top of mountain.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ , thank you for your suggestions! I was definitely planning on train travel within the countries. I will check out your train links! Also, thank you for the trip on Montserrat. I will definitely look into that, as well as Colmar. I appreciate the advice!
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 04:43 PM
kja

There is a great deal to see in Switzerland, of both natural and cultural interest, and it's excellent public transportation system gives you options for going almost anywhere in a day trip -- depending on how you define a day trip! I would encourage you to play around with the sbb (Swiss rail) website, where you can get very detailed and accurate information about getting from Basel (or anywhere else!) to anywhere in Switzerland. As for your options, you might consult the Michelin Green Guide to Switzerland (which i thought particularly good). And you might find some useful ideas in my trip report:
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...thanks-983126/

Barcelona can easily take 5 or 6 full days, not counting day trips, and of course you have many options for day trips, including Montserrat, Tarragona, Girona, Figueres, the Costa Brava, etc. Again, I thought the Michelin Green Guide especially helpful, and you might find some useful ideas in my trip report.
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 07:44 PM

In Brussels - areas to stay in are the Central Station area or near Louise (fashionable shopping district). If you are confident and it's a weekend you might think of staying in the European Quarter (such as near Trône or Place du Luxembourg), because the accommodation, normally occupied by European politicians, public servants and lobbyists, is vacant then and you can get some good discounts. Anywhere near a metro station is good, because the network is clean, convenient and easy to use. If you say more about your interests I can make a few suggestions (although it sounds as though you will have your own family guide if your daughter has been living near Knokke). Antwerp is a gem, just lovely.

Lavandula
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 09:26 PM

Many Belgian families spend time on the coast in July and August. I know families who spend the whole summer there.
Knokke along the seaside boulevard has ugly apartment blocks; but also endless beaches, fun beach bars, cycle routes, good restaurants, shops. If you are reasonably fit, cycle to Cadzand and have lunch there on the beach. Damme is a bit further to cycle. The family your daughter is with will tell you all this, I'm sure!
Brugge is also an easy daytrip by train. See what the weather is like before you decide what to do!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:18 AM

If you are into Brussel museums: some of the most importants of them will be closed on Monday.

Best late afternoon/evening train from Knokke to Basel:
Knokke dp 15.06 - Bruxelles Midi ar 16.31, dp 17.17 - Strasbourg ar 20.58, dp 21.21 - Basel ar 22.42.
Fares for the Brussels - Strasbourg TGV start at 160 EUR (260 EUR up to Basel) for 2 adults and 2 persons in their twenties.
Easyjet may be cheaper (without checked in luggage)
https://ch.oui.sncf/en/
https://loco2.com/
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:27 AM

For day trips from Basel into Switzerland, check
Swiss Travel Pass
Swiss Travel Pass Flex
Swiss Half Fare Card.
For Strasbourg (if you travel along the German side of the Rhine river), Black Forest, rhine Falls and Lake Constance, check the Baden-Württember ticket.
https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/...om-abroad.html
https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkun...AWUE_LZ03#stay
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:38 AM

Usually Belgium has beautiful weather in July and miserable in august. Or vice versa.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:44 AM

One year leading bike trips thru Belgium and Holland it rained, in July, at least once a day and often a gray mist all day, for 35 straight days. There is a reason the old elm trees in Amsterdam have green moss on them! But yes you could have brilliant weather. A gamble - one reason so many Belge head south for their beach vacations.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

These are all very good suggestions! Thank you everyone! I will look into the travel passes and hope that we have good weather.

There is a chance we will do day trips from Basel on Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues and not go to Barcelona. It's pretty expensive to fly there right now with return flights to the states from there.

Cheap flights from Basel to London...so considering that for 2 days before heading home. Thoughts?
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:59 PM

From Basel, a quick-paced dash to Barcelona sounds like the perfect 2nights/ weekend trip for your three daughters.
Not knowing your daughters preferences (and one preference could as well be that they don't want to go without you, obviously), the "average" European 20something would probably lean towards more exciting and less spic and span places than the Black Forest or Switzerland.
So I was wondering if giving them 2 nights off while you explore town or countryside your pace in and around Basel could be an option?
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:26 AM

London would be great for all - daughters can go to pubs and speak to others - lots of nightlife and just a neat city more relaxing to me than Barcelona, plagued by rampant street crime in past and perhaps now.